• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

withheld rent

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.



I was living in group house with five other people. We had a landlord who never made any repairs on the house after we moved in their was a leak in the roof and he said that he was coming to fix it but he never did. He also didn't fix a leaking bath tub. So we withheld paying rent and he still didn't come to fix it. Now after the lease is over he has taken us to a court seeking his rent. A safety inspector came to the house and said that the house should be condemmed. How can we defend ourselves? Is it advisable to get a lawyer? Is this legal? This is in Pennsylvania


Senior Member
You need an attorney.......

You need an attorney unless you know 100% that you withheld rent correctly under PA L-T laws. Few states allow this type of action and if they do, rent must be paid into court rather than just "not being paid".


SURE the landlord can sue you that is his right as an AMERICAN.

SO since YOU knew of the problems, and YOU violated the lease by not paying rent.then YOU must have thought this out carefully AND:

Kept all the certified letters you sent him about the leaks, That you have pictures to show the Judge , that all 6
of you will appear in court......

AND you got a statement from the Safety inspector about it should be condemmed.

With ALL that proof you should WIN!


Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential