• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Withhold pay after being released

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

T

tedl

What is the name of your state? California

I recieved a copy of a contract that an ex-coworked recieved from the company I currently work for and she was realsed from. The contract stated that they were withholding her last payment until she signed a non-compete agreement. I told her I though it was illegel to with a persons pay for not signing any agreement.

I'm concerned because it looks as if the are going to try and not pay me as well once they let me go. The are moving the operation from CA to PA shortly.
What are her legal right ?
How long before filing a complaint with the department of labor?
Also since they are a prublic company I'm was think of filing a complaint with the SEC.

Here is part of teh contract that she recieved.

1. Certain Payments and Transfers. The Company shall pay to the Contractor the agreed upon balance of the contract between the Parties in the amount of Two Thousand and 00/100ths ($2,000.00) Dollars and a termination fee in the amount of One Thousand and 00/100ths ($1,000.00) Dollars payable upon execution of this Agreement.

Last edited:

Beth3

I doubt the SEC can help. This doesn't appear to be anywhere near their jurisdiction.

It's not clear what the relationship between you/your co-worker and the company is nor what the payments are for. Are you employees, are you contractors, or something else?

In any event, if the payments in dispute are wages, contact CA's Labor Board. If the payments are part of a contractual agreement for something other than wages, then you'll need to see an attorney as it is a civil matter.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">