• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Withhold rent? Need help ASAP! Please!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

A

AcMcKcCO

My girlfriend and I are renting an apartment in Breckenridge, CO. I would appreciate only helpful advice and not rude comments. Thankyou. Here is a description of our situation.

November 30, 2000: Sign a 6 month lease for a unit not yet ready. We gave them a $1600 security deposit, but not our first months rent. Verbal agreement is that rent will be paid when unit is ready(new carpet, new stove, new stackable washer/dryer, heater hooked up, and a few other cosmetic jobs.) Verbal agreement is that project will be completed by December 14, 2000.

December 21, 2000: Our lease at our old place is not up until January 1, 2001. We have not heard from our landlord about the status of our place, but are anxious to begin moving process as new place is 2 hour drive. Leave message with landlord.

December 22, 2000: Phone call from landlord. "Place is not ready yet, but you can have the key." Landlord feels bad because the place is not ready yet. Verbal agreement says that if we will swith utilities to our name, he will not charge us rent until unit is ready.

December 22-24, 2000: Spend weekend in our new (unfinished) apartment. Carpet and Stove have been installed.

January 1, 2001: Arrive at new unit for good. Washer/Dryer is not ready. Heater has not been completely installed. None of the cosmetic jobs have been completed. We assume that since the jobs have not been completed, we should not begin paying rent.

January 2, 2001: Message from landlord saying that he will be up one day during week to finish jobs. January passes.

February 1, 2001: Fed up with the laundrymat, heater fan rotating with no grate, drafty and warped front door, and lighting fixtures hanging from the ceiling, we call landlord. He seems to think that we owe him rent for the month of January, but out of the goodness of his heart(hah!) will only charge us for the last two weeks of January.

Where do we stand legally? Do laws exist saying that rent is not due unless unit is in good condition? The only legal documentation we have is our lease which has an open due date for rent.I realize that this was long, but how could I have made it short. Please respond with any suggestions of info you may have.

D

djdj

why not contact a L/T lawyer on monday, and maybe a nasty letter or two will do the trick.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">