• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Within my rights to break lease without penalty?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

mvore

State: Maryland

My family is renting a house and the county's code enforcement stopped by to do an inspection of premises. It was revealed the finished attic space is not a legal bedroom and we had to move the beds downstairs. This caused some problems in terms of sleeping space. Am I able to break the lease due to false advertising?

The lease does not list the attic as a bedroom, but the ad on Zillow did. And the person who showed me the house stated the attic would be a great spot for a bedroom.

Thanks!

STEPHAN

Can you prove that they put the add on Zillow? Usually Zillow collects data from other sources.

FarmerJ

You wrote > And the person who showed me the house stated the attic would be a great spot for a bedroom.
< this in itself doesn't mean much telling you is not the same as something in writing. As far as a rental ad find it and get it printed since you would have to show the ad to be deceptive to push the LL into letting you out with no penalty. ( since a printed copy that a Judge could see would truly make the LL look bad in court)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">