• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Witholding Contractor Payment

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

EstherJVB

I live in Texas and have contracted a General contractor to perform some renovations/repairs to a casita attached to my house. This is a project that was started by another contractor and left finished sub par and leaking. We hired the new contractor to demo and repair the existing leaks on an outdoor upstairs patio, and adjoining "bridge" connecting the new structure to the house. In his contract it stipulates clearly that he will demo the poorly installed water membrane, repair any damaged subfloor, install tape on seams to the subfloor, and apply new membrane to the floor. The contract states a separate price for the tile installation after that, then another separate price for repairing stucco and trim, and finally an unrelated repair to the interior of the structure listed separately. All of this totaled to one contracted amount.

The contract stipulated a 50% payment up front, with subsequent draws of 25%, 15%, and 10%. There is no statement in the contract indicating WHEN those draws will be made. The contractor indicates he told us verbally they would be made at the end of each week for a four week job, but we don't remember this statement and it is not on the contract. We read the contract as making payments as the portions of the job are complete as listed clearly and itemized in the contract.

Up to this point we paid the 50% deposit and he started work. He has been doing good work communicating well and such, so when he asked for a draw of the next pymt of 25% a week later we paid it with some internal hesitation but said nothing. At this point he had completed the demo of the deck and bridge, the partial repair of the stairs on the deck damaged from water, the water membrane and taping on the deck but not the bridge. We see this as having paid 75% of the job with only 25% complete. He asked to start installing the tile the start of this week when we realized he intended to install it, and contract agreed with his intent, on top of the current osb sub floor. We felt this was insufficient and asked him to install hardiboard before beginning the tile. He agreed to a change order for additional funds to cover the hardi board, and a second water membrane. The following day he asked for the cost of the change order which we refused on the grounds that due to the line item of the contract he has not completed enough of the job to merit additional payment. He seemed okay with this at the time, then did not come out that day, and now is saying he is "stepping away from the project" until we agree to pay the change order as he feels he made it clear that the payments should be made at timed installments.

We are unwilling to pay him more money until what we have already paid more closely aligns with what he has done, and want to know if we have any means to get any of our money back to him if he does in fact refuse to come back out and finish the job. What are our options?

quincy

I live in Texas and have contracted a General contractor to perform some renovations/repairs to a casita attached to my house. This is a project that was started by another contractor and left finished sub par and leaking. We hired the new contractor to demo and repair the existing leaks on an outdoor upstairs patio, and adjoining "bridge" connecting the new structure to the house. In his contract it stipulates clearly that he will demo the poorly installed water membrane, repair any damaged subfloor, install tape on seams to the subfloor, and apply new membrane to the floor. The contract states a separate price for the tile installation after that, then another separate price for repairing stucco and trim, and finally an unrelated repair to the interior of the structure listed separately. All of this totaled to one contracted amount.

The contract stipulated a 50% payment up front, with subsequent draws of 25%, 15%, and 10%. There is no statement in the contract indicating WHEN those draws will be made. The contractor indicates he told us verbally they would be made at the end of each week for a four week job, but we don't remember this statement and it is not on the contract. We read the contract as making payments as the portions of the job are complete as listed clearly and itemized in the contract.

Up to this point we paid the 50% deposit and he started work. He has been doing good work communicating well and such, so when he asked for a draw of the next pymt of 25% a week later we paid it with some internal hesitation but said nothing. At this point he had completed the demo of the deck and bridge, the partial repair of the stairs on the deck damaged from water, the water membrane and taping on the deck but not the bridge. We see this as having paid 75% of the job with only 25% complete. He asked to start installing the tile the start of this week when we realized he intended to install it, and contract agreed with his intent, on top of the current osb sub floor. We felt this was insufficient and asked him to install hardiboard before beginning the tile. He agreed to a change order for additional funds to cover the hardi board, and a second water membrane. The following day he asked for the cost of the change order which we refused on the grounds that due to the line item of the contract he has not completed enough of the job to merit additional payment. He seemed okay with this at the time, then did not come out that day, and now is saying he is "stepping away from the project" until we agree to pay the change order as he feels he made it clear that the payments should be made at timed installments.

We are unwilling to pay him more money until what we have already paid more closely aligns with what he has done, and want to know if we have any means to get any of our money back to him if he does in fact refuse to come back out and finish the job. What are our options?
Your options are to enforce the terms of the contract as written, pay the amount requested by the contractor so he hopefully will finish the job, let the contractor walk away from the job and sue him for any overpayments, hire another contractor to finish the job ...

EstherJVB

... and possibly learn it twice, unless the first contractor was not paid.
First contractor finished the job but we had withheld 10% upon satisfactory completion. The original job was to build the entire structure as a watertight exterior shell, unfinished interior, and put in a driveway (tiling the patio was not part of not). The only part not finished satisfactorily was that the patio and bridge keep leaking badly. He was about 9 months past the contract end date by the time he got there and kept saying he would come out to fix the leaks. Never did. He agreed to leave the 10% with us so we could hire someone else to fix it. Where we are now.

EstherJVB

Your options are to enforce the terms of the contract as written, pay the amount requested by the contractor so he hopefully will finish the job, let the contractor walk away from the job and sue him for any overpayments, hire another contractor to finish the job ...
Since the terms of the contract don’t say in writing that draws were to be paid on a timed schedule as opposed to a completion schedule does that give us something to stand on legally if we tried to get payment for work not done back?

quincy

The contractor (actually both of your contractors) left you in a tough spot.

You can argue that payments were to be made upon completion of each job and the contractor could argue that you had an oral agreement to pay weekly. Because your written contract did not spell out how payments were to be made, which argument would fly in court is a question mark.

It is standard to pay a percentage up front and pay the balance upon completion, though - and it is best to have an "inspection clause" in a contract, adding that final payment will be made after inspection of the work.

Last edited:

EstherJVB

At this point we are settled and done with the first guy. The amount remaining unpaid was sufficient to cover the repairs needed on the patio and bridge. I’m struggling with what to do regarding the second. To be honest I’ve always been a bad judge of character, but I like the guy and have been impressed with his communication and work ethic thus far. He always keeps me posted if he’s coming or if he can’t make it out for whatever reason, and sends me photos of progress from the work every evening. I can’t find any info on if he’s licensed or not, I did call references, and we fount him not the other way around.

The only reason we are withholding is due to the amount of work completed compared to the amount paid. I understand his perspective, and am inclined to pay the change order to get him started again, but will be kicking myself if I misread him and he’s planning to bail on the job after getting maximum payment with minimal work. Ugh. I hate this crap! Would it be crazy for me to offer the change order payment on request of a revised contract that more clearly stipulates when the remaining 25% will be paid? It seems like such a small amount to even hold over him as incentive to finish. Is he totally off base for requesting the change order?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">