• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

"Without my consent" wording in final documents when taking child out of the US

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Well, he has a lot of bitterness to me, has the financial means to pick up and go and he is a Canadian citizen.
See, the problem is that he really doesn't need your consent to travel to Canada with his child. Ask your attorney about ways to ensure that he doesn't cause a problem by not returning with the child (I'm thinking along the lines of some sort of bond).

EDIT: To be clear, unless you can show some convincing evidence that there is a risk (not just some vague bitterness), then the court will just order the he be allowed to travel with his child, exactly as he is requesting.

We are in AZ. He hasnt traveled to CA since we met over 15 years ago. Which is why I find it so odd he wants this in the final docs. I always wondered that maybe he never went back to CA because he has had immigration issues many years before we met. He was in the US working at one point and got sent back to CA. Also, HE is the controlling one and wants to pretend I dont exist and doesnt want to stoop to having to get my consent to go anywhere. Just my guess...

Just Blue

. Also, HE is the controlling one and wants to pretend I dont exist and doesnt want to stoop to having to get my consent to go anywhere. Just my guess...
That you would require your consent for the FATHER of your MUTUAL child to visit DAD home country is very controlling. It's Canada for goodness sake not a non Hague country. He shouldn't need to get your consent...he the father. Get over yourself.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
We are in AZ. He hasnt traveled to CA since we met over 15 years ago. Which is why I find it so odd he wants this in the final docs. I always wondered that maybe he never went back to CA because he has had immigration issues many years before we met. He was in the US working at one point and got sent back to CA. Also, HE is the controlling one and wants to pretend I dont exist and doesnt want to stoop to having to get my consent to go anywhere. Just my guess...
You are acting controlling however in this regard.

not2cleverRed

Obvious Observer
Ok well that scares me even more then!
It shouldn't. There are worse things than being Canadian.

Look, focus on the big stuff. Does it matter where Dad takes the kid on Dad's parenting time? Not really, so long as the kid is kept reasonably safe. So, it's not the "consent" thing that you should focus on; what you should focus on is that Dad returns the kid to you for your parenting time, just as you would make the kid available for Dad's parenting time.

Look, focus on the big stuff. Does it matter where Dad takes the kid on Dad's parenting time? Not really, so long as the kid is kept reasonably safe. So, it's not the "consent" thing that you should focus on; what you should focus on is that Dad returns the kid to you for your parenting time, just as you would make the kid available for Dad's parenting time.
That is my exact worry. I am worried he will go there and stay there. Its not that I dont want him vacationing there and seeing his family. I love his family. He has a ton of money and is very controlling, and since he is Canadian, what is to stop him from staying there?

Just Blue

Agree! Unless OP left out some big important facts (and all the important stuff should be in the 1 post)...I see no reason that Dad should need permission from OP to take his child to Canada. I can imagine a Judge rolling his/her eyes at the request for such an order.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">