• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

"Without my consent" wording in final documents when taking child out of the US

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

t74

That is my exact worry. I am worried he will go there and stay there. Its not that I dont want him vacationing there and seeing his family. I love his family. He has a ton of money and is very controlling, and since he is Canadian, what is to stop him from staying there?
Is this why you married him?

Really sweetie, you need therapy!

LdiJ

My ex was also from another country (though a US citizen by the time we divorced) and a control freak. Yes, I was nervous when he took them overseas, but, being realistic, I knew he had a profession here and was unlikely to not return. Pick the battles & hills to die on.
It was the same for me. While I was nervous I knew that my ex was a US citizen who had a career here and was unlikely to not return either.

However, if dad is not a US citizen or green card holder, that changes things greatly. The fact that he has not been back to Canada for 14 years tends to indicate that he might not be a US citizen or green card holder. That could make his desire to travel to Canada or get a passport for the child a little more suspect. He would certainly know, in the current climate in this country, that if he goes there he might not be able to come back.

Also, for Zignor, its not quite a simple as just going to Canada to pick the child up if dad is not cooperative.

LdiJ

Is this why you married him?

Really sweetie, you need therapy!
Total and complete BS. You have just proven your anti mother bias with bells on with both of your posts on this thread. I am totally disgusted.

It would have to specifically state that he can get a passport without your signature. If you sign an agreement that says that, then he will not need your permission to get a passport.

The Hague Convention is an international treaty that determines jurisdiction for child custody cases. For example, the father and your mutual child would have to live in Canada for two full years, without you taking any action to get your son back, before a Canadian court would take jurisdiction and make any orders regarding your child. Canada would honor the court orders made in the US regarding your child up until that point, and the US would be the country of your child's official residency until then.

However, I did not ask a question that I should have asked previously, is your ex a green card holder or naturalized US citizen? If he has been here for 14 years without a green card then you absolutely should NOT sign an agreement allowing him to take the child there or get a passport without your consent. The possibility that your ex won't be able to come back to the US if he goes to Canada is very real.
He has permanent residency he got through a marriage a long time ago, whatever that means.

t74

If his money were not a matter to you, why did you mention it? You really need to reflect on your attitude. Your child will benefit.

Your concern now is the reason you should NOT sleep with someone until you know them better and , preferably marry. Marriage signifies a commitment that is more difficult to break than even living with a person. You created the situation and now you get to deal with it in the manner that is best for your child. Your attitude is harmful to your child. I have a sneaking suspicion that your child is the most adult of the three of you.

xylene

If his money were not a matter to you, why did you mention it? You really need to reflect on your attitude. Your child will benefit.

Your concern now is the reason you should NOT sleep with someone until you know them better and , preferably marry. Marriage signifies a commitment that is more difficult to break than even living with a person. You created the situation and now you get to deal with it in the manner that is best for your child. Your attitude is harmful to your child. I have a sneaking suspicion that your child is the most adult of the three of you.
Another pathetic post.

Just Blue

:rolleyes:

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
I think xy and t
Many people are totally disgusted with you because you are ignorant and totally anti dad in all situations. So quit being a hypocrite and before you call someone else out admit that you too are biased towards mothers always and forever. Idiot.
Enough. I'll be honest - this is starting to rise to the level of bullying.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">