• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Witnesses Requirements

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

>Charlotte<

Lurker
My father is a resident of South Carolina. He has updated his will with an estate planning software program. The instructions state the will does not necessarily have to be notarized, but it does require two witnesses. The most convenient people to use as witnesses are residents of North Carolina, not South Carolina.

Of course, a South Carolina instrument would require a South Carolina notary, but I don't think residency requirements apply to witnesses. Am I correct?

seniorjudge

My father is a resident of South Carolina. He has updated his will with an estate planning software program. The instructions state the will does not necessarily have to be notarized, but it does require two witnesses. The most convenient people to use as witnesses are residents of North Carolina, not South Carolina.

Of course, a South Carolina instrument would require a South Carolina notary, but I don't think residency requirements apply to witnesses. Am I correct?
That's the problem with this kind of software.

It is very unreliable.

If pa doesn't really care what happens when he is gone, then he should use this software.

If pa really does care what happens when he is gone, then he should use a lawyer skilled in such services.

BoredAtty

I believe you are correct. The point of having the witness is to testify later if required. Therefore, the requirements to witness a will are generally the same as to testify in court for other matters, though some states require the witness to be 18 years old.

seniorjudge

No, they don't, but his closest neighbors probably live in South Carolina, not North Carolina.
And they should be much younger than the testator and male (so they would be easier to find since males rarely change their names upon marriage).

You still want to consider having it notarized; the GENERAL rule is that a notarized will can be independently probated (i.e., little court interference).

moburkes

But women make better witnesses. As a rule. It said it in the Bible. And, I will NEVER change my name. Moburkes it is**************..

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">