• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Woman Is Asking me to Pay for Prior Damage from our Minor Accident

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
My name's Jackie, not Jack.
Yet your userid is jackjackmurphs. In any case...what does it matter? The answer doesn't change because your name has two additional letters.

I didn't own a vehicle or have a vehicle after my lease was up so that's why I had to switch insurances. I was under the impression that I didn't need to get new insurance until I registered my car. So I knew that I didn't have the insurance I would have in the future, but I thought I had more leeway time than I did to get that new insurance.
That doesn't make sense...your car was required to be registered in much less than 30 days. Again, you SHOULD HAVE KNOWN. Just because you were mistaken doesn't change the fact that you should have known.

I was on day 41 of the new car but I only had 30 days to notify Geico. I understand my mistake now, but at the time I thought I was fully insured and that's exactly what I told the other driver. She took a photo of my insurance card at the time of the accident and that's how she was able to file a claim and find me. Just updating you on the circumstances.
41 days...really? It's not even reasonable to believe that you would be able to wait so long before insuring your vehicle.

Zigner

Your user name is jackjackmurphs. Perhaps if being called jack offends you, you should have gone with jackiejackiemurphs when selecting a user name.
I suspect the OP is trying to convey that he is a she. The answer doesn't change because of more letters in the OP's name, and it doesn't change because of gender either.

Yet your userid is jackjackmurphs. In any case...what does it matter? The answer doesn't change because your name has two additional letters.

That doesn't make sense...your car was required to be registered in much less than 30 days. Again, you SHOULD HAVE KNOWN. Just because you were mistaken doesn't change the fact that you should have known.

41 days...really? It's not even reasonable to believe that you would be able to wait so long before insuring your vehicle.
I purchased my vehicle Mid November and my temporary registration and license plate expired on Jan 4th. So yes it's totally possible, you thumb.

Zigner

I just told you the timeline I was given... they literally told me the deadline of when I needed to get my new registration... it’s more than reasonable to wait until that deadline to register my car.
No, it's really not. Your state has specific laws about this matter. In other words, you were willfully ignorant of both the insurance AND the registration requirements.

No, it's really not. Your state has specific laws about this matter. In other words, you were willfully ignorant of both the insurance AND the registration requirements.
“Registration Required: Within sixty days after purchase (42-3-103(1)(a) C.R.S.).” - Colorado.gov/pacific/dmv/registration-requirements

Is this the law you were referring to?

Just Blue

Hahaha I’m not sure exactly but let’s just go with that. I just like how calling someone a thumb sounds. ;)
Well...It's a very useful appendage. :cool:

ETA: You have rather disappointed me...I though you were going to turn me on to some new millennial insult slang. sigh....

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">