• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Won 50/50 Raffle - Now it's a big deal

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

haha0002

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? WA

I'm not sure I'm posting in the right area. Recently at a conference put on by my company, an impromptu 50/50 raffle was created in order to collect money for a PTA. They had a donation jar out, but had only collected $40, so someone opted to hold the raffle to solicit more donations. Well, I won the draw, winnings being somewhere under $400. They assumed that I would donate the winnings back to the PTA, which was not my choice. I'd prefer to donate to my kids' school. However, now they are trying to decide whether or not they can give me my winnings, because I am an employee. The person who drew my name, was not an employee of my company, so there was no impropriety. They are holding a meeting to figure this out. Were there any laws or rules broken here which would prevent them from giving the funds to me?

davidmcbeth3

Hello...they just dont want you to have the money.. keep it yourself..gov't has enough money.

I never give to the PTA because they never account for the money they get.

haha0002

Thank you. yes, I tend to agree, that was my feeling too. I just can't believe what a fuss it has created.

Beth3

Were there any laws or rules broken here which would prevent them from giving the funds to me?

No, but there's no law that requires them to give you the money either. They can decide to donate the money to the PTA on your behalf whether you like it or not. Your recourse would be to sue them for the $400 in small claims court.

tranquility

Even though such raffles are done all the time, odds are it was illegal. Strictly speaking, everyone involved (including the OP) probably broke the law. There will not be any lawsuits here--from either side.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">