• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Won a pay to enter lottery. Company is changing the terms and conditions after winning.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

games55

What is the name of your state? MI

An online gaming company offered a lottery game with the jackpot prize as their cash shop currency. This currency is normally purchased with real money in order to make purchases of virtual items from their cash shop. The lottery, which they called "Lucky Spin", was sort of like a slot machine. You payed 50 cents worth of real money and it would give you a random low value virtual item in return. Every time you played, the jackpot increased. It eventually reached 14 million "TCoins" (that is their virtual currency), which is equal to 14 thousand US dollars. Over the course the jackpot was running, I put in hundreds of dollars trying to win. Eventually I did. I received my reward without any problems. However, within a month, they sent me a message out of the blue stating they were going to delete my winnings if they weren't used within 4 days and said "in no way was it indicated that these TCoins can be retained permanently". They never wrote such conditions anywhere on their site that the TCoins would ever expire. So they are essentially forcing me to squander my prize purchasing items I do not need instead of waiting to use them down the line on newly added items.

Adding made-up rules AFTER to a pay-to-win lottery is where I think they aren't being legal. Definitely false advertising since your average person playing the lottery wouldn't assume their money would be taken away if they don't spend it within a certain time frame, especially if it was never written out somewhere that that would happen. I have tried contacting them already, but they aren't being reasonable and are saying their decision to do this is final.

Summary: Gaming company threatening to delete my prize from a pay-to-enter lottery with an estimated value of 14k USD stating a made-up condition they created after the fact that was nowhere present anywhere on their website.

What would you suggest I do? Any advice is greatly appreciated. If you need any additional information, please let me know. Thank you!

games55

Hello, the game is owned and published by a South Korean company (XXX Entertainment), but they have distributors for different regions around the world. I play on the North American server which is managed and distributed by a California based company.

quincy

You could send a complaint to the California based company, after re-reading carefully all terms and conditions of your agreement, to make sure you didn't overlook terms that might apply.

If you still get no satisfaction, you could file a complaint with California's Attorney General.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">