• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Won Judgement but my lawyer has abandoned me.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.


Junior Member
I live in California
In California court I won a $55,000 ($45k actual & $10k punitive) judgement against a gentleman who resides in Arizona. After I was awarded the judgement my California lawyer put in touch with a lawyer in Arizona to file the claim in that state.
I signed a contract with the Az. lawyer and gave her $1200+ up front and a contingency fee of 20%-30% upon collection of the judgement.
I contacted the Az. lawyer every 3 months or so to see how things were going. The responses were usually vague.
It has now been over 3 years and the Az. lawyer does not return my phone calls or emails.
How can I get this lawyer to the job they promised? :confused:


Senior Member
At what point are you going to realize your Arizona attorney is a flake and you need to hire another one to get your judgment entered in Arizona and to assist you in getting a refund from your current attorney?

Dandy Don

Senior Member
You should be considering hiring a private detective for a few hundred dollars in the city/county where the Arizona gentleman lives to ask the detective to find out if this gentleman is employed first, so you will have some idea of whether he can afford to pay the judgment or not.

If he is working, then you can get another attorney (maybe one who is knowledgeable about debt collections) to find out how to garnishee this man's paycheck or directly attach his bank account to get money that way.

DANDY DON IN OKLAHOMA ([email protected])


Junior Member
I had the same situation and finally got them to work on the settlement my grandmother received 4 years ago. My mom contacted them via phone and e-mail and got the same vague responses you are getting.
I finally stepped in and gave them one call, I said I need to speak to someone who can give me an answer or I will report this to the State Bar Association. The Attorney got on the phone within minutes and now my grandmother has 1/2 of her settlement with the other 1/2 due in 30 days.

My advice is to start with the Bar and not spend any more money on attorneys or anyone else. I know I wouldn't have all that money to keep shelling out.

Good luck and I hope you get all your money!

Sandi Ng


roadsport said:
he moved to AZ after judgment was awared.

> You might want to contact a collection attoney in AZ. a NARCA member would be a good start, may be willing to assist, and many work on a contingency basis website is http://www.narca.org.

While you're at it, have them look into pursuing collections against the former attorney you retained <g>.

Good Luck!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential