• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Won Online Fantasy Football

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Kingdaddy1773

Hello all,

I "won" about $2,000 in an online contest for fantasy football. The site cost $150 for the season and the site folded today.

When you visit the website it says this...

We regret to inform you that MVPWeekly.com will be permanently shut down effective immediately.

We are thankful for your patronage and apologetic that we are unable to further the life of the site.

All entry fees will be refunded via Paypal within the week.

AdverGaming, LLC

If you have not received your funds through PayPal within the week, please contact [email protected] or [email protected].

So I'll get a refund but none of my winnings?

Is this legal???

I can post the Official Rules if you need to read them.

Thank you!

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Hello all,

I "won" about $2,000 in an online contest for fantasy football. The site cost $150 for the season and the site folded today.

When you visit the website it says this...

We regret to inform you that MVPWeekly.com will be permanently shut down effective immediately.

We are thankful for your patronage and apologetic that we are unable to further the life of the site.

All entry fees will be refunded via Paypal within the week.

AdverGaming, LLC

If you have not received your funds through PayPal within the week, please contact [email protected] or [email protected].

So I'll get a refund but none of my winnings?

Is this legal???

I can post the Official Rules if you need to read them.

Thank you!
Question: Is this legal???
Answer: No, gambling is not legal.

Kingdaddy1773

Thank you for your amazing response.

When I signed up the Rules made it seem legal. THIS IS WHY I'M ASKING FOR ADVICE.

I ask for non smart-ass responses please.

MVP Weekly

Thanks!

Thank you for your amazing response.

When I signed up the Rules made it seem legal.
I ask for non smart-ass responses please.
Request denied.

"What" made it seem legal? The fact that your computer could navigate to the site? Did you even read the fine print when you signed up? Do you know what the laws regarding gambling are? Or did you just assume that it was legal? Sorry, assumption is not a valid defense - you did not do your due diligence here, and you're frankly pretty lucky that you're breaking even. Some places don't even bother to/can't refund the money.

Kingdaddy1773

I assumed it was legal in the way I assume sites like CBSSportsline, ESPN, and Yahoo are legal with their pay and play fantasy football.

I pay for a fantasy team on any of those and win $$$ if I win the league.

No wonder people hate lawyers. If they're as arrogant as the people that have responded, the stereotype is 100% correct.

Thanks for the awesome responses!

Is that an ambulance I hear?

Wait, where are you all going???:eek:

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
I assumed it was legal in the way I assume sites like CBSSportsline, ESPN, and Yahoo are legal with their pay and play fantasy football.

I pay for a fantasy team on any of those and win $$$ if I win the league.

No wonder people hate lawyers. If they're as arrogant as the people that have responded, the stereotype is 100% correct.

Thanks for the awesome responses!

Is that an ambulance I hear?

Wait, where are you all going???:eek:
People like you actually keep lawyers in business. Of course, it's the criminal defense lawyers taking your money.

racer72

I have played many fantasy sports leagues with the above, none have charged me anything to play, it is free. That is the difference.

lefty423

Fantasy Sports

Has anyone read the unlawful Internet Gambling Act of 2006? If you have then you would know that fantasy sports are legal in this country. It makes provisions for these kinds of contests. You are not putting money on certain teams to win. According to the Act, fantasy sports require "skill" to win and not just chance. Espn, CBSSportsline, and any of those websites give you the option of setting your leagues up for money.

Kingdaddy1773

Has anyone read the unlawful Internet Gambling Act of 2006? If you have then you would know that fantasy sports are legal in this country. It makes provisions for these kinds of contests. You are not putting money on certain teams to win. According to the Act, fantasy sports require "skill" to win and not just chance. Espn, CBSSportsline, and any of those websites give you the option of setting your leagues up for money.
THANK YOU LEFTY!

Most people around here think things don't exist if they've never heard of them.

"I've never paid for fantasy sports on CBSSportsline so there's no way it even exists!!!"

Morons.

Thanks again Lefty.

lefty423

Anytime, i actually played on that site too and won like $100 i can only imagine if you won $2000 i would not be happy. I'm curious to what is going on with that website, they are not very good with communicating with the emails they send out. I don't think anyone has gotten paid out from that website. Yesterday I got an email saying I would be getting some kind of offer from another company. My guess is they were offering too much prize money based on how many people were signing up and were losing money. I'll post if I find out any other news.

Antigone*

I'm sorry - you must have mistaken this forum for www.answersyouwanttohear.com
That is a classic Zigner - :) Thank you for my first chuckle of the day.

You know...maybe I can get a pool going...hmm... Let's see I'll start a pool to see who makes us laugh the earliest. $50 bucks gets you in. The bet is: who will make the first hillarious smarta** remark of the day. Will it be Zigner or SJ.

Ok people the prize is 1.2mm (ecmst12's favorite amount). And suing me when you don't actually get the prize money.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">