• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Wondering if I have a case...

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.



I am interested in filing suit against the State of Connecticut for what I believe to be neglegence on their part. The surrounding details of the case is lengthy, but I feel it is important to provide a general outline.

To cap VERY briefly. My daughter, was a (physical) abuse victim from my husband in 1993/94. I was not aware of the abuse taking place, and although CPS conducted several investigations, I feel a lot of what should have taken place by this agency DID NOT. Many of the bruises, etc.., were dismissed as self inflicted behavior, no pictures were ever taken by CPS, and no action was taken to remove my husband from the home. Serious documentation supports the injuries to my daughter, but my husband was lying and my daughter was frightened to say anything despite my repeated attempts to find out the problem. When she did say something was going on it was dismissed by CPS.

We now live in NY. Nearly a year ago my husband admitted the abuse. A NY family therapist reported to Connecticut that this 93/94 case was in fact abuse, and the State informed her that they would add an addendum to the report. Case closed.

A case was then opened in New York due to his current behavior and the current case worker is appalled that this was addressed by the State of Connecticut as is was, that all the documentation supported that my daughter was being abused and that action should have been taken to protect her by that agency. If the State had addressed this appropriately, my daughter would have been kept safe and I would not have continued in a marriage and had more children.

Just a side note: My husband has recently been in front on the our County family court and has had a perminant order of protection placed against him, in addition to being mandated to therapy, etc.

Do I have a case against the state?


Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential