• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Won't Cover Underage Pregnancy

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

S

soon2be

Hello,
My name is Brandy and I'm from the state of Indiana. I'm 16 and almost 3 months pregnant. My problem is that my father's insurance company (Blue Cross Blue Shield) refuses to pay. They would cover me if I broke my leg or something like that and they would cover my mother if she got pregnant, but since my pregnancy is a "preventable" pregnancy they won't cover it. They also won't cover birth control. A lot of people I know say this is illegal. Is it?? Thanks for any help....

who told you that they will not cover this? have you called blue cross (I know it is hard to get thru) with taht reasoning half of the accidents around the house that require emergency room care would not be covered because they would be preventable. if you are stll in school and live in the household to age 18 or in college to age 25 you should be covered. from age 18 to age 25 you parents would have to pay extra to keep you on their policy. all pregnancy could be considered preventable with that reasoning. just like blue cross will pay for certain dental care when you are pregnant. good luck and make sure you have your card handy when you call so you can give them policy info. I dont know if you have a traditional or a ppo but it is confusing with all of the plans they have. good luck

Beth3

Your father needs to get hold of the insurance booklet/plan document that explains his medical converage and someone in the family (your mom or dad) need to read through it very carefully to see what it says (if anything) about coverage for pregnancies of dependent children.

Unless it specifically excludes coverage, then YOUR medical bills should be covered by his plan. The baby's medical expenses (once it's born) might not be however as a your child is not your father's legal dependent. To determine that for certain, look in the section that defines eligible dependents. Unless it specifically includes children born to the employee's dependent children, then the baby won't be covered.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">