• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

wont give my dog back

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jthiel67

What is the name of your state? PA
i am the legal owner of Goldie, she is a crippled dog from Amman, Jordan.
i have the contract of adoption.
she is also micro chipped in my name.
i had her 3 months and felt i needed to give her back to her previous owner because she was being bullied
at my house by another dog. the previous owner couldnt take her back right away so i let her go to a foster home to wait it out.
so after 3 mos, it turns out the previous owner couldnt take her back after all due to declining health.
so i asked for my dog back. the foster person said no, she is staying here, i am not giving her back to you.

she is my dog. how can she just keep my dog?
i have spoken to police who say its not theft because i gave her the dog to foster, the lawyers say its theft because she is keeping something
from me that does not belong to her.
civil court says i would have to sue for a dollar amount but i did not pay for Goldie, she was given to me.
i dont know who to turn to.
how can she just keep my dog????

quincy

What is the name of your state? PA
i am the legal owner of Goldie, she is a crippled dog from Amman, Jordan.
i have the contract of adoption.
she is also micro chipped in my name.
i had her 3 months and felt i needed to give her back to her previous owner because she was being bullied
at my house by another dog. the previous owner couldnt take her back right away so i let her go to a foster home to wait it out.
so after 3 mos, it turns out the previous owner couldnt take her back after all due to declining health.
so i asked for my dog back. the foster person said no, she is staying here, i am not giving her back to you.

she is my dog. how can she just keep my dog?
i have spoken to police who say its not theft because i gave her the dog to foster, the lawyers say its theft because she is keeping something
from me that does not belong to her.
civil court says i would have to sue for a dollar amount but i did not pay for Goldie, she was given to me.
i dont know who to turn to.
how can she just keep my dog????
Do you still have the “bully” dog at your residence?

Mass_Shyster

1) Just because the dog was given to you does not mean the dog does not have a value. Pick a number and sue for that.

2) An action to return property is called replevin. In the old days, a court of equity would hear an action for replevin, and a court of law would hear an action for conversion (a dollar amount). It sounds like the court you went to is not a court of equity. I really don't know the details, as the Commonwealth where I practice, most courts have powers of law and powers of equity.

quincy

Here is a link to Pennsylvania’s Department of Agriculture, Dog Laws:
https://www.agriculture.pa.gov/Animals/DogLaw/pa-dog-laws/Pages/default.aspx

Because dogs are considered property in Pennsylvania, a dog with a disability might not have much monetary value. The fact that you tried to give the dog back to its original owner works against you. That the dog was “bullied” when it briefly resided with you can work against you.

But good luck.

bcr229

How did you find this "foster" home? Usually a foster home is associated with an animal rescue organization that takes animals from owners who can't keep them any more, and which has volunteers that keep the animal in their home while it is rehabilitated and evaluated before being adopted out. When you turned the dog over did you sign any paperwork? Did you offer to pay for the dog's upkeep while it was in the foster home?

Gail in Georgia

bcr229 makes excellent points. Did you sign a "surrender" form when you gave your dog to this foster home? Did you provide any financial support during the 3 months this dog was in the foster situation?

Gail

jthiel67

thank
Here is a link to Pennsylvania’s Department of Agriculture, Dog Laws:
https://www.agriculture.pa.gov/Animals/DogLaw/pa-dog-laws/Pages/default.aspx

Because dogs are considered property in Pennsylvania, a dog with a disability might not have much monetary value. The fact that you tried to give the dog back to its original owner works against you. That the dog was “bullied” when it briefly resided with you can work against you.

But good luck.
thanks, but i rehomed the offending dog finally in july. i would have rehomed her sooner if could. i was doing the right thing for my crippled dog

jthiel67

t
bcr229 makes excellent points. Did you sign a "surrender" form when you gave your dog to this foster home? Did you provide any financial support during the 3 months this dog was in the foster situation?

Gail
there was no paperwork involved at all. i gave her the remaining money that was raised for this dog (Goldie)

jthiel67

n

Gail
no paperwork. i gave her the remaining $168 that was raised fro Goldie to come to the states

jthiel67

You weren't capable of keeping it and gave it up. Sorry, not your dog anymore. Get over it.
i was temporaily unable to keep her but rectified the situation by rehoming the offending dog. its now a better place for my dog here than in the foster home where she is. she is still mine on the contract

jthiel67

How did you find this "foster" home? Usually a foster home is associated with an animal rescue organization that takes animals from owners who can't keep them any more, and which has volunteers that keep the animal in their home while it is rehabilitated and evaluated before being adopted out. When you turned the dog over did you sign any paperwork? Did you offer to pay for the dog's upkeep while it was in the foster home?
the foster, Jen, was one of the ones involved in getting the dog safely to the states from Jordan. there were 4 of us. she offered to foster Goldie till Jennifer could take her. i sent Jen all goldies property and the remaining $168 that was left from the money raised to get her here. no paperwork

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">