• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Won't Return Calls

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Murdock_719

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? WV

When I was in college I had to go the hospital and had no insurance, needless to say I never paid. A few months ago I got a letter from a lawyer saying that I needed to pay ($2400). I called him and we talked but couldn't agree on how much I should (could) pay each month. He told me he had to go but to call him back and we'd reach an agreement. I called back and left a message but he didn't call me.

So over two weeks ago I got a civil summons saying I had 20 days to enter my plea. It also said payment arrangements had to be made between me and the plantiff. So I entered a plea of guilty and brought one copy to the court and mailed one to the plantiff (well the hospital's lawyer). I attached a letter asking him to contact me with payment info.

I never heard back so I called Monday morning, not in - left a message, called again yesterday and today. :mad: I can't figure out what his plan is and am afraid he is trying to let the 20 days expire for some odd reason (I don't know exactly what happens when the time is up - I suppose court? but I already pled guilty :confused: )

I have borrowed the money just to pay off the bill and get it over with as they were wanting 10% interest. But if I can't reach him to make a payment then what? Should I just send a check? It said I only had 20 days to make payment/payoff arrangements and my time is running out fast :eek:

djohnson

He is probably just waiting to get the judgment so he can collect from you in other ways if you don't follow up on the payments. You didn't state how long it was when you were in college and this debt was created.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">