• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Work Authorization

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.


Oops -- Sorry about the mispost.

I am a Canadian here under a TN visa, due to expire next month. I got married last year to a US citizen and we have file the 130 and 485, but expect that it will be at least another 4 months before I get my green card.

I am self-employed. Do I need to get a work authorization to fill the gap between the time my TN expires and I receive my green card?

Thanks for the advice!


I believe that you do.

Form I-765 is what you are looking for.

Hopefully it will process a bit faster at the service center than the one in Miami, it took almost three months just to process, which would leave yyou without for a couple of months

Best of Luck!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential