• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

work for hire: contract necessary?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

G

gamma

What is the name of your state? AR

I've hired an artist to draw some pictures for my business. I know that in "work for hire" the copyright automatically belongs to the employer, but someone said I should still write up a contract for the artist to sign. Is it really necessary?

Thanks

HomeGuru

gamma said:
What is the name of your state? AR

I've hired an artist to draw some pictures for my business. I know that in "work for hire" the copyright automatically belongs to the employer, but someone said I should still write up a contract for the artist to sign. Is it really necessary?

Thanks
**A: is the artist a full fledged employee of your company or actually an IC?

G

gamma

The artist is not a full-time employee. I hired him through an outsourcing web site.

divgradcurl

"The artist is not a full-time employee"

Then any work he does is not "work for hire" from a copyright standpiont and the artist will own the copyrights to anything he creates, even though you are paying him. You will need a contract to make sure that the copyrights in the work you pay for gets transferred to you.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">