• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Work in NYC with CA being princ residence

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

pv488

My son who lives in CA with spouse is considering a job offer in NYC, He will live in NYC or New Jersey while working in NYC and spouse will remain in CA.
Would he have to file a tax return as a resident of NYC (or NJ) and then taxes paid to states will be used as a credit on their CA tax return?
Is there a better approach?

not2cleverRed

Obvious Observer
Your married adult son should create his own userid and ask this, or look it up himself.

I believe that he will have to part-year resident tax forms for both states.

But in any case, if he actually asked you to come here on his behalf, then he should consult a tax professional.

Taxing Matters

Overtaxed Member
Would he have to file a tax return as a resident of NYC (or NJ) and then taxes paid to states will be used as a credit on their CA tax return?
Is there a better approach?
He will have to file income tax returns in both states. He will be a resident of one of them; which one will depend on all the facts, which of course I do not have. Whichever state he is resident he will file as a resident of that state and claim a credit for the tax paid to the other.

LdiJ

He will have to file income tax returns in both states. He will be a resident of one of them; which one will depend on all the facts, which of course I do not have. Whichever state he is resident he will file as a resident of that state and claim a credit for the tax paid to the other.
NYC will consider him a resident whether he agrees that he is or not. They are VERY aggressive about that.

xylene

NYC will consider him a resident whether he agrees that he is or not. They are VERY aggressive about that.
More or less, If he maintains a dwelling unit there, legally he is a resident, whatever dwelling he has elsewhere or in another state. that's why he needs a tax pro in advance to make sure the money is right.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">