• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Work Injury Question

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

State: Missouri

I have a question about wage payment on work injuries. If an employee gets hurt at work. Goes through all the steps(Doctors/Physical Therapy/Surgery) and the injury becomes permanent with restrictions. If the employer is unable to accommodate the employee with the permanent restriction on the injury in their current position and have no open positions available at the time. Would the employee still be on Total Temporary Disability (TTD) or would the employee be placed on Short/Long Term disability?

Last edited:

quincy

State: Missouri

I have a question about wage payment on work injuries. If an employee gets hurt at work. Goes through all the steps(Doctors/Physical Therapy/Surgery) and the injury becomes permanent with restrictions. If the employer is unable to accommodate the employee with the permanent restriction on the injury in their current position and have no open positions available at the time. Would the employee still be on Total Temporary Disability (TTD) or would the employee be placed on Short/Long Term disability?
Following is a link to the benefits you are eligible to collect, published by the Missouri Department of Labor and Industrial Relations:
https://labor.mo.gov/DWC/Injured_Workers/benefits_available

PayrollHRGuy

Read through the link quincy provided. But I can assure you that you will not receive TTD forever. Once you have reached Maximum Medical Improvement the workers' compensation carrier will offer a settlement. Keep in mind that this is generally just an offer. It is negotiable. If you get to that point it isn't a bad idea to get a WC lawyer.

quincy

Right. But I wanted to clarify for Injured_Missouri_Worker that the benefits potentially can continue "forever" as these benefit accounts are accessed as the need arises.

PayrollHRGuy

In that situation, the TTD payments do not continue and PTD payments, while allowed for in the law, are somewhat rare. Both the carrier and usually the injured worker (and their lawyer) would rather make a settlement an be done with it. The same stands for ongoing medical costs.

Read through the link quincy provided. But I can assure you that you will not receive TTD forever. Once you have reached Maximum Medical Improvement the workers' compensation carrier will offer a settlement. Keep in mind that this is generally just an offer. It is negotiable. If you get to that point it isn't a bad idea to get a WC lawyer.
Would not think that the TTD benefits would be permanent. I have read and been told several different things and honestly do not totally understand the wording or process completely.
Even though the injury is now at Maximum Medical Improvement(MMI) with permanent restrictions and the employer still has no position to accommodate the injured employee. Until a settlement is reached would the employee have to be placed on Short/Long Term disability or should the employee still be on TTD until either a position becomes available or the settlement is agreed upon? The employee also has a pre-existing disability that the employer was aware of that, compounds the situation with this new injury and renders the employee from being able to work in other employment field, if not all.

Last edited:

quincy

You should remain eligible for benefits if you are able to work in some capacity but your employer is unable to provide an accommodation.

quincy

I believe it would remain TTD but you can verify by contacting a workers compensation professional in Missouri. The link I provided earlier has contact information.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Missouri is not one of the very few states that requires employers to carry either short or long term disability benefits. It is up to the employer whether to even have such policies, and if they do, the wording of the policies themselves will determine when, if ever, a work-related injury is covered.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">