• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Work two full time jobs - ethics code & citizenship application

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

t74

OP will not be the only person reading this in the future. All should beware of the pitfalls. One of the case I am following has 9 violations of the CFR with several having prison terms of 20 years for wire fraud based on falsified affidavits related to grants.

Also, this has nothing to do with a security clearance; most university research is on state or federal awards and do not require a security clearance. The second case is due to a failure to notify the employer as required by employer policy and failing to notify the government as required by the RFP.

Many employers have government contracts. There is no way to know what OP's employer with the ethics policy may be involved in now and in the future.

IMO, OP is foolish to lie to his employer. It may come back to bite him in the rear when he does not expect it - and hurt others along the way.

PayrollHRGuy

But many employees that are going to be in these boards asking such questions aren't spying for the ChiCom government.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
IMO, OP is foolish to lie to his employer
I don't disagree with that. But absolutely nothing the OP has provided suggests that, while foolish, there are any legalities involved. If he wants to have his documents reviewed by an attorney, there's no reason not to. It might even be a smart move if he thinks it may affect his green card status. But you are not helping him any by leading him to think he might go to jail over it when that is simply not the case.

t74

Several posters have stated categorically that one cannot get into LEGAL trouble working for two employers when one has limitations against it. I need to only present a single case to prove that it is possible. I have.

The case of interest happens to be against a foreign born person; remember that OP is also an aspiring citizen. Citizens with acquired citizenship can lose it for egregious violations of law. This is even greater incentive to pay attention to the details and follow the rules to the letter.

IMO, OP is foolish to even consider lying to his prospective employer and look for one which has rules he can comply with. It is the "right" thing to do even if he believes that legal action will not be initiated against him if his lies are discovered. Who could trust his work when they cannot trust his word.

LdiJ

Several posters have stated categorically that one cannot get into LEGAL trouble working for two employers when one has limitations against it. I need to only present a single case to prove that it is possible. I have.

The case of interest happens to be against a foreign born person; remember that OP is also an aspiring citizen. Citizens with acquired citizenship can lose it for egregious violations of law. This is even greater incentive to pay attention to the details and follow the rules to the letter.

IMO, OP is foolish to even consider lying to his prospective employer and look for one which has rules he can comply with. It is the "right" thing to do even if he believes that legal action will not be initiated against him if his lies are discovered. Who could trust his work when they cannot trust his word.
It certainly would be in the best interest of the OP to get a consult with their immigration attorney about this matter...as it pertains to the immigration side of the matter.

PayrollHRGuy

In the cases you quoted the people didn't get into trouble for working for two employers. The got in trouble for spying for the ChoCom government.

I would stress to the OP to not spy for a foreign power.

t74

In the cases you quoted the people didn't get into trouble for working for two employers. The got in trouble for spying for the ChoCom government.

I would stress to the OP to not spy for a foreign power.
Try reading it again. They lied - failed to report - that they worked for other employers. This was contrary to their contract by which they were paid.

Since an employee cannot know all of his employer's obligations, lying to the employer can place the employer and the employee in jeopardy.

Many people are getting their green cards via employment through body shops that place workers at government agencies or with companies that have foreign contracts or educational institutions. Many of these individuals retain contacts in their home countries and immigration forums regularly discuss working for an employer in the US and another abroad. That would certainly put a foreign worker at especially great risk if they are working on a US project that has international limitations. I doubt the average employee has access to the project contracts of the employer.

OP's willingness to LIE TO HIS EMPLOYER can have serious consequences unknown to him at the time of his lie. While it is not illegal to work for more than one employer by statute, there can be legal consequences for doing so when the employee is involved in a project with a contract prohibiting it.

Quite frankly, the work of an amployee who would lie to an employer - and certainly on an ethics policy question posed for hiring - should not be trusted; this is unlikely to be the first - or last - lie.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">