• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Worked promotion for 2 months without promised raise.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Wesc94

As the title suggests, 2 months ago, I was promoted at my place of work. When I accepted the position, I was told it came with a small raise. Nothing was in writting, but im listed on my work schedule as that position and I can prove that. Today my boss came back to me after I brought it up to her yesterday and was told that I wouldnt be getting the raise and that I wont be asked to take the responsibility of the role any longer. My question is basically if thats something that can be done because nothing was signed, or if I am entitled to any back pay for working the position? Thank you for you time

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
As the title suggests, 2 months ago, I was promoted at my place of work. When I accepted the position, I was told it came with a small raise. Nothing was in writting, but im listed on my work schedule as that position and I can prove that. Today my boss came back to me after I brought it up to her yesterday and was told that I wouldnt be getting the raise and that I wont be asked to take the responsibility of the role any longer. My question is basically if thats something that can be done because nothing was signed, or if I am entitled to any back pay for working the position? Thank you for you time
What US state?

adjusterjack

Your boss screwed you and got two months extra work out of you. It happens. Now you know what kind of person he is. Be more careful about working for promises in the future. Nothing you can do about this as long as you were paid at least minimum wage. If you make a stink you'll probably get fired for being a complainer. I would polish up the resume and see if you can get that raise elsewhere.

Wesc94

Your boss screwed you and got two months extra work out of you. It happens. Now you know what kind of person he is. Be more careful about working for promises in the future. Nothing you can do about this as long as you were paid at least minimum wage. If you make a stink you'll probably get fired for being a complainer. I would polish up the resume and see if you can get that raise elsewhere.
Exactly what I was looking for. Thank you for giving it to me straight. Appreciate it.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Just FYI, there are NO circumstances whatsoever, regardless of what state you are in, where the law requires an increase in pay for an increase in responsibilities. Contract can require it; a CBA can require it, but the law NEVER requires it. Budgets get changed at a moment's notice; decisions to go a different direction are made all the time. I don't discount AJ's opinion as a possibility, but it's also possible that your immediate boss was overruled by higher-ups.

Taxing Matters

Overtaxed Member
If the employer told you that you will be paid at the higher rate for work done after the promotion, the employer is obligated to pay you at that rate until the employer tells you that going forward you'll be paid less. So I would argue that you were entitled to the higher pay for at least the first pay period. When the employer cut you a check for that pay period and it wasn't at the promised rate then at that point you should have clarified exactly what the deal was because you were on notice that the employer might not be willing to pay you that higher rate.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">