• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

working from home deductions?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

I already filed this year or I would have asked the accountant - Texas

I work for a company less than two miles from my home, but they have run out of space in the office and I have been set up with a home office over a year ago. They give me an allowance and I pay my own bills for internet/phone service.

What if anything can I claim next year? I was told by a friend I could claim a portion of my home as my office, including parts of utilities or something of the sort? Is this true? Many thanks!

LdiJ

Well, your home office is definitely "for the convenience of your employer" therefore you would qualify in that respect. Is this space that is set aside strictly for your work only? Like a spare bedroom set up as a home office?

Yes, I have/had a sitting room off of my master bedroom. My workspace is currently in my dining room while I redo the floor in the sitting room - then I am moving my office into there. It is a room about 10ft by 10ft.
I am tiling it instead of the carpet it had before so it is easier to have an office in there.

LdiJ

bonkers101 said:
Yes, I have/had a sitting room off of my master bedroom. My workspace is currently in my dining room while I redo the floor in the sitting room - then I am moving my office into there. It is a room about 10ft by 10ft.
I am tiling it instead of the carpet it had before so it is easier to have an office in there.

In all reality it could save you some minimal cost in taxes now....but could complicate your "tax life' in regards to your home when or if you eventually sell your home.

I don't generally encourage home office deductions.....I encourage specific expense deductions...but not home office deductions

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">