• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Working things out after Felony OFP violation

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

MyBackAchers

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? MN

I had several Order For Protection periods against my boyfriend who was drinking at the time. On one he has a Felony Order For Protection Violation.

He is now sober and we have texted and had a short conversation. Since we were together for 25 years, we both feel we have much to talk about but neither of us want more trouble for him, he is working on his issues, he still has 5 years probation for the felony ofp violation. I want to be supportive for his sobriety and we both want to be friends now.

So, how do we go about having contact without him experiencing more legal problems?

Silverplum

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? MN

I had several Order For Protection periods against my boyfriend who was drinking at the time. On one he has a Felony Order For Protection Violation.

He is now sober and we have texted and had a short conversation. Since we were together for 25 years, we both feel we have much to talk about but neither of us want more trouble for him, he is working on his issues, he still has 5 years probation for the felony ofp violation. I want to be supportive for his sobriety and we both want to be friends now.

So, how do we go about having contact without him experiencing more legal problems?
Texting is contact. Conversations are contact. He's already violated.

Edited to reflect Proserpina's facts.

Last edited:

Proserpina

He's been sober for how long?

ETA: Minnesota enacted a law specifically addressing that part; the petitioner will not have violated the order.

See: Minn. Stat. Ann. § 518B.01(14)(i)

Last edited:

single317dad

OP, you state you "had several Order For Protection periods against [your] boyfriend", but do not state whether there is a current protective order in place. Please clarify.

Proserpina

OP, you state you "had several Order For Protection periods against [your] boyfriend", but do not state whether there is a current protective order in place. Please clarify.
That's a great question!

May I add something here, too? (Seeing that my resident abuse guru isn't around right at this moment)

I think you should take a look here: http://aardvarc.org/

It's an incredibly valuable resource. It's worth looking at, and it can't hurt. Do it for you.

MyBackAchers

Working things out after felony ofp violation

No, there is no ofp in place at this time.
However, some states say that IF a person violates and a has a felony violation, then there can never be contact.

Thanks for all your great help!

MyBackAchers

How long has he been sober?

He's been sober for how long?

ETA: Minnesota enacted a law specifically addressing that part; the petitioner will not have violated the order.

See: Minn. Stat. Ann. § 518B.01(14)(i)
He says he has been sober for 3 months, however, he was diagnosed with a sleep disorder (no REM sleep and is now on medication for it), that happened a few months ago. Apparently, not getting REM sleep can create craziness, and we had a fairly normal relationship the first 10 years. I can relate to that because I once went without sleep for 60 hours and was hospitalized for it.

He is presently on 5 years probation in Montana for the last violation here in MN. He transferred there 9 months ago.

IF nothing else works, can I contact someone to look over the case and change any of this?

Proserpina

He says he has been sober for 3 months, however, he was diagnosed with a sleep disorder (no REM sleep and is now on medication for it), that happened a few months ago. Apparently, not getting REM sleep can create craziness, and we had a fairly normal relationship the first 10 years. I can relate to that because I once went without sleep for 60 hours and was hospitalized for it.

He is presently on 5 years probation in Montana for the last violation here in MN. He transferred there 9 months ago.

IF nothing else works, can I contact someone to look over the case and change any of this?

What concerns me is .. well, 3 month is a drop in the alcoholic ocean (and oh I know that one - when I got my 90 days I thought I was going to wet myself with joy!). He needs to be sober for a lot longer before (in my opinion) you guys even think about communicating.

With that said there's nothing stopping you from speaking with an attorney. If you must do this, then please at least do it as legally and safely as you can.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">