• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Workman's Comp Lawyer

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

T

Teej

What is the name of your state? Arkansas

My husband got hurt at a plant when walking behind a truck and another employee knocked a stack of plastic pallets on top of him and he landed on his back, He has had numerous medical problems ever since. We hired an attorney as the place refused to continue letting us try to find out what was wrong when their doctors could not find out why he had blood in his urine and was in so much pain all the time. His blood pressure has been out of control ever since this accident. None of their doctors could explain any of this and he never had trouble before this event. THey tried to say it was pre-existing but it was not. Well, our attorney called us and asked if we would accept them paying the medical bills that were made in Arkansas ( not the ones in OK) and $5000 to us to pay the others as settlement. Due to being harassed almost daily over bills not being paid as was expected he said he would settle. We went to Workman's Comp Court and the judge went over everything - never was my husband asked by the judge if he was willing to resign his job. It was never mentioned - after the court was over and he had been given his check for $5000 he was approached by our attorney ( after our attorney spoke with their attorney) and called back into a room where our attorney wrote on a yellow legal pad these words - "I resign from Simmons Industries" and told my husband to sign it -He told him if he did not sign it that he had to give back the check - that could not have been true as the judge was gone by that time- I was very upset as I knew he did not have to do that - our attorney assured us that it would not be given to Simmons as it was only for the attorney's file - so he signed it but then when my husband went back to work he worked about 4 hours and was told that he no longer worked there due to his resignation. No amount of explaining about what happened or anything would change it. I feel he was tricked and that our attorney was in collaboration with theirs. Am I wrong? Was this ethical procedure on either attorney's part? Please someone let me know as now are we not only in debt over the medical bills and he is not well - now he has no job at all!
Thanks
Theresa

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">