• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

workplace harassment??

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

scatcatttttt

What is the name of your state? Minnesota

This is my first time posting and I need some advise. My fiance has worked for a company for the past year and a half.

She had a few complaints about how the company was doing things (ie. not following procedures, SOP's). She talked to the company manager, and he said he would take care of it. After a few weeks nothing was taken care of, so she went to the HR lady and explained the situation. The HR lady said she would take care of it. Once again nothing was done. She then went to the CEO of the company and complained of her problem. (The CEO has an open door policy) The CEO said there was nothing he could do and that she had to talk to the HR lady. Today my fiance got a call from the company manager saying that she is being written up and facing suspension for insubordination for going over his head and talking to the CEO. After reading in the employee handbook, she did everything per company policy.
Ever since she has brought this problem up to her manager, she has been treated differently....she doesnt even want to go to work for fear she will get called into someones office and get chewed out for something.

Can an employer do this?? How can an employer write you up for insubordination for talking to a CEO?

BelizeBreeze

scatcatttttt said:
What is the name of your state? Minnesota

This is my first time posting and I need some advise. My fiance has worked for a company for the past year and a half.

She had a few complaints about how the company was doing things (ie. not following procedures, SOP's). She talked to the company manager, and he said he would take care of it. After a few weeks nothing was taken care of, so she went to the HR lady and explained the situation. The HR lady said she would take care of it. Once again nothing was done. She then went to the CEO of the company and complained of her problem. (The CEO has an open door policy) The CEO said there was nothing he could do and that she had to talk to the HR lady. Today my fiance got a call from the company manager saying that she is being written up and facing suspension for insubordination for going over his head and talking to the CEO. After reading in the employee handbook, she did everything per company policy.
Ever since she has brought this problem up to her manager, she has been treated differently....she doesnt even want to go to work for fear she will get called into someones office and get chewed out for something.

Can an employer do this?? How can an employer write you up for insubordination for talking to a CEO?
Nothing in your post is even remotely illegal. Bad taste, bad management maybe. But no law states a company MUST follow their own procedures.

Tell her to start looking for a better company for which to work.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Since neither you nor we were present at the time she talked to the CEO, we have no way of knowing whether she was insubordinate or not. But it is not up to her to dictate how the company handles issues. Unless they are violating the law, if they want to change their SOPs or make exceptions to them, that's their privilege.

Nothing you have described gives her any legal recourse.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">