• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Workplace Injury - Pay Denied

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

joe645

I injured my hand on my job that required surgery and time off from work for 8 days. My workplace says they are not going to pay me for the time off. Several lawyers have said my workers' comp case is too small for them. Where do I go for help in getting my pay? I live in Las Vegas, NV

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
I injured my hand on my job that required surgery and time off from work for 8 days. My workplace says they are not going to pay me for the time off. Several lawyers have said my workers' comp case is too small for them. Where do I go for help in getting my pay? I live in Las Vegas, NV
Have you filed a work comp claim? If so, what does the work company provider have to say about your pay?

adjusterjack

You can get help from the Workers Comp regulatory agency.

Las Vegas Office
702-486-9080
[email protected]

Meantime, read about Injured Workers at:

Injured Workers (nv.gov)

zddoodah

My workplace says they are not going to pay me for the time off. Several lawyers have said my workers' comp case is too small for them. Where do I go for help in getting my pay?
Do you have PTO or vacation time to cover the time off? If not, it's not your employer's obligation to pay you for time not worked. You need to make a claim with the workers' comp provider (not only for the pay, but also for the medical expenses).

joe645

Have you filed a work comp claim? If so, what does the work company provider have to say about your pay?
I have filled out Incident Report (NRS 616C.015) having Supervisor sign and then fax. Supervisor said they were not going to pay me my wages since I had not been off for more than 5 days, yet the injury occurred 10/1/2023 and I wasn't okayed to go back to work until 10/10/2023.

joe645

Do you have PTO or vacation time to cover the time off? If not, it's not your employer's obligation to pay you for time not worked. You need to make a claim with the workers' comp provider (not only for the pay, but also for the medical expenses).
I have filled out NRS Incident Report and will have Supervisor Sign it then FAX it to State.

joe645

Doesn't the company have a responsibility or legal to have employee fill out some sort of paperwork of workplace injuries?

zddoodah

Doesn't the company have a responsibility or legal to have employee fill out some sort of paperwork of workplace injuries?
You cited NRS 616C.015, so I assume you're familiar with what it says. Nevertheless, it provides that, in the event of a work-related injury to an employee, the "employee . . . shall provide written notice . . . to the employer of the employee as soon as practicable, but within 7 days after the accident." Upon receipt of such a notice, the employer must sign the notice, acknowledging receipt.

Whether any additional paperwork is required likely depends on the specific industry in which the employee works.

Note that the link I provided includes the entirety of Chapter 616C of the NRS, and I suggest you peruse the other statutes, particularly NRS 616C.020.

quincy

I have filled out Incident Report (NRS 616C.015) having Supervisor sign and then fax. Supervisor said they were not going to pay me my wages since I had not been off for more than 5 days, yet the injury occurred 10/1/2023 and I wasn't okayed to go back to work until 10/10/2023.
How did you injure your hand?

Not all injuries that occur in a workplace are considered workplace injuries covered by worker’s compensation.

joe645

You cited NRS 616C.015, so I assume you're familiar with what it says. Nevertheless, it provides that, in the event of a work-related injury to an employee, the "employee . . . shall provide written notice . . . to the employer of the employee as soon as practicable, but within 7 days after the accident." Upon receipt of such a notice, the employer must sign the notice, acknowledging receipt.

Whether any additional paperwork is required likely depends on the specific industry in which the employee works.

Note that the link I provided includes the entirety of Chapter 616C of the NRS, and I suggest you peruse the other statutes, particularly NRS 616C.020.
I filled out NRS injury report and went to Supervisor to have it signed and he declined to sign it.

joe645

How did you injure your hand?

Not all injuries that occur in a workplace are considered workplace injuries covered by worker’s compensation.
I am a Screen Cleaner in a Recycling Plant and while pulling out a wire cable from the machine, my middle finger got punctured and later required surgery to clean out infection.

quincy

I am a Screen Cleaner in a Recycling Plant and while pulling out a wire cable from the machine, my middle finger got punctured and later required surgery to clean out infection.
Thank you for answering my question, joe645. That sure sounds like a compensable workplace injury.

What is your typical work week schedule? October 1 (the day of your injury) was a Sunday, the 7th and 8th were Saturday and Sunday, and the 9th was Indigenous People’s Day (a day off for many people).

Last edited:

joe645

Thank you for answering my question, joe645. That sure sounds like a compensable workplace injury.

What is your typical work week schedule? October 1 (the day of your injury) was a Sunday, the 7th and 8th were Saturday and Sunday, and the 9th was Indigenous People’s Day (a day off for many people).
At the time, I was working 6 days with Sat. day off. I was on 3rd shift getting $1 more an hour for it. Now they have me on light duty because I can't use my right hand yet (per Dr.) and they have informed me that they are going to move me to 2nd shift permanently which is $1 less per hour. Sort of retaliatory. I am in contact with reps from Workmans' Comp and OSHA.

Last edited:

quincy

At the time, I was working 6 days with Sat. day off. I was on 3rd shift getting $1 more an hour for it. Now they have me on light duty because I can't use my right hand yet (per Dr.) and they have informed me that they are going to move me to 2nd shift permanently which is $1 less per hour. Sort of retaliatory. I am in contact with reps from Workmans' Comp and OSHA.
Thanks for answering my additional questions.

It sounds like you are doing what you need to do and contacting who you need to contact.

It doesn’t sound like your supervisor responded to your injury in the proper way. He probably will learn this soon enough, when he is asked to explain his reasons for not signing the incident report.

I hope your hand fully heals.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">