• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Worried about being deported

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

rcp617

undefinedWhat is the name of your state? california

My mother, sister, and brother have been in the US since 1995.
In 2001 my mom met her soon to be husband. They got married in sept. 21st, 2002. Everything was working out great with them, they seemed to really care about eachother and my mom was really in love. Her husband changed alot with her, and would stop buying food for the house or only buy things that he would eat. To top it off him and my sister didn't really get along. He fought with her alot and said things to her like she was worthless and she needed him. Last year around July he asked her to leave and helped her find a place in San Francisco.
We have a legal resident card which expires this december and he has filed for divorce because he is afraid that she will get money from him because they didn't have a prenupt. My mother is completely crushed by this and has been very depressed. She was initially not going to sign the divorce papers but we are not financily able to hire legal help. Her ex-husband told her that if she signed the divorce papers he would still help her file for citizenship before actually finishing the divorce. Now he won't answer any of her calls or e-mails and we are terrified of what will happen to us, we have nothing to go back to. I'am a tax payer have a daughter who was born in this country (i'm not married), my sister is a college student, and my brother is graduating high school this year with a prestigious offer from UTI. So we have alot to loose.
What are our chances of not being deported?
What should we do? :confused:
please post to this or e-mail me at [email protected]

Last edited:

evcalyptos

rcp617 said:
undefinedWhat is the name of your state? california

My mother, sister, and brother have been in the US since 1995.
In 2001 my mom met her soon to be husband. They got married in sept. 21st, 2002. Everything was working out great with them, they seemed to really care about eachother and my mom was really in love. Her husband changed alot with her, and would stop buying food for the house or only buy things that he would eat. To top it off him and my sister didn't really get along. He fought with her alot and said things to her like she was worthless and she needed him. Last year around July he asked her to leave and helped her find a place in San Francisco.
We have a legal resident card which expires this december and he has filed for divorce because he is afraid that she will get money from him because they didn't have a prenupt. My mother is completely crushed by this and has been very depressed. She was initially not going to sign the divorce papers but we are not financily able to hire legal help. Her ex-husband told her that if she signed the divorce papers he would still help her file for citizenship before actually finishing the divorce. Now he won't answer any of her calls or e-mails and we are terrified of what will happen to us, we have nothing to go back to. I'am a tax payer have a daughter who was born in this country (i'm not married), my sister is a college student, and my brother is graduating high school this year with a prestigious offer from UTI. So we have alot to loose.
What are our chances of not being deported?
What should we do? :confused:
please post to this or e-mail me at [email protected]
http://uscis.gov/graphics/howdoi/remcond.htm
"How Can I Get a Waiver of the Requirement to File a Joint Petition?
If you are unable to apply with your spouse to remove the conditions on your residence, you may request a waiver of the joint filing requirement. You may request consideration of more than one waiver provision at a time.

You may request a waiver of the joint petitioning requirements if:

Your deportation or removal would result in extreme hardship

You entered into your marriage in good faith, and not to evade immigration laws, but the marriage ended by annulment or divorce, and you were not at fault in failing to file a timely petition.

You entered into your marriage in good faith, and not to evade immigration laws, but during the marriage you were battered by, or subjected to extreme cruelty committed by your U.S. citizen of legal permanent resident spouse, and you were not at fault in failing to file a joint petition.
Please see USCIS Form I-751 (Petition to Remove the Conditions on Residence) for more specific information on waivers."

See also:
Finding Free Legal Advice
http://uscis.gov/graphics/lawsregs/advice.htm

You all need it.. don't shilly shally. You can do this without the husband, but you can't wait too long.

rcp617

-So do we need just one application or do we need one for each child?
-Where do we get the application fot the joint application waiver?

evcalyptos

rcp617 said:
-So do we need just one application or do we need one for each child?
-Where do we get the application fot the joint application waiver?
Read the links I provide.

You might want to find an attorney or legal aid clinic for immigrants if you are low income.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">