• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Worried about child's medical expenses!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.


I live in CA

I just had the DA start garnishing the wages of my ex. Included in the forms they gave him was a form for Health Insurance Coverage Assignment. It required him to get health insurance for our child through his employer. However, I don't believe that his job offers medical insurance. No worries though, because our child is covered through my health insurance at my work.

My question is, since he won't have to pay for any extra insurance, will he have to be required to pay half of the uninsured medical/dental costs?

If he does have to pay half, do I just send him copies of the bills?

And what if he doesn't pay? How does it get enforced?

Thanks for the help!



i'm confused :male female

sorry but i'm a little confused about something.i have spent the last hour reading over all of your threads posted because your situation sounds exactly like what my husband and i have been going through with his ex-girlfriend.are you sure this ex of your's doesn't have an identical twin living here in virginia?anyway,i thought that you said you were a man in ca. but your last thread posted and the one that ambr.replied to refered to your ex as a male.could you clear this up for me.it doesn't matter much,i mean it's not like i'm going to start taking sides and downing you if you are male or female,just trying to help with some info. that we have been through,it's exactly the same, mediation,wages medical& dental bills,mom not going to court appointed counseling,you name it & she has done it.well,here in va. the father can agree to pay medical, dental bills or the judge can order him to do it, unless the judge feels that the child support that the dad is paying is enough to cover everything and then the med. & dent.is not added into order as a seperate thing that he has to pay.check with the courts in ca. and find out exactly what you have to pay for the child and most of the time, i know here if it is not specified in the order you don't have to pay diddly to her.keep me updated on what's going on with you, we could use some help ourselves,i know laws vary between states but maybe you have some ideas that we haven't thought of yet and vice-versa.thanks,cott2

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential