• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Worthless Father Syndrome

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

mcghee

I'm in Indiana with my child & her Dad is in Tennessee (I think). He hasn't talked to or seen my daughter since December of 2003. He hasn't given me an address, phone #, etc. and thinks that it should just be okay for one of his sisters to drive my daughter 8+ hours one way to see him once a year or so. He also hasn't paid any regular child support payments since 2001 and only a couple of couple hundred dollar payments since then, but stopping that altogether in early 2004. My questions are, do I have to let her go somewhere that I don't have any way of contacting her in case of emergency, and also I've been told that once his backsupport hits the $15,000 mark that a federal warrant will automatically be issued for him - is that true & if so, what happens then?

LdiJ

mcghee said:
I'm in Indiana with my child & her Dad is in Tennessee (I think). He hasn't talked to or seen my daughter since December of 2003. He hasn't given me an address, phone #, etc. and thinks that it should just be okay for one of his sisters to drive my daughter 8+ hours one way to see him once a year or so. He also hasn't paid any regular child support payments since 2001 and only a couple of couple hundred dollar payments since then, but stopping that altogether in early 2004. My questions are, do I have to let her go somewhere that I don't have any way of contacting her in case of emergency, and also I've been told that once his backsupport hits the $15,000 mark that a federal warrant will automatically be issued for him - is that true & if so, what happens then?
First, you need to understand that child support and visitation are two completely separate issues. Therefore a judge won't consider the visitation issues in conjunction with child support enforcement. It certainly won't improve the judge's opinion of dad, but that's all.

Its true that Indiana gets very serious about child support enforcement when arrearages get as high as 15,000....however I don't believe that involves a federal warrant....but I am sure that someone will correct me if I am wrong on that.

Basically, yes, dad is required to provide you with full contact information, address, phone numbers etc. In Indiana you would be within your rights to deny visitation if you have not been given that information. Particularly since dad is out of state and therefore outside of the physical jurisdiction of the Indiana courts.

Technically, denying visitation (if there are visitation orders in place) puts you in contempt of court, but the odds of an Indiana judge "dinging" you on that when dad has been awol for a significant amount of time, plus won't provide an address etc., is very slim.

How old is your child? That will make a difference in what might eventually happen in court.

LdiJ

mcghee said:
My child is 14. And thank you for the reply.
Since your child is a teen...what's likely to happen if you end up in court, is that dad will be ordered to immediately provide you with contact information....and the judge will order a long distance visitation schedule that you will be expected to immediately start following.

If your child was young, a "reintroduction" period might have been required first...but that isn't going to happen in a case where its a teen, and dad has only been awol a couple of years.

However, if you are wise, you will make child support enforcement aware that dad will be in Indiana, in court on a specific day at a specific time. Particularly if any warrants have been issued. You should make the judge aware of that as well.

T

titansfan

no excuse for being a deadbeat parent

be glad hes not in minnesota-he could not only get his dl suspended, but he could face jail time for failing to pay child support. minnesota doesnt play around when it comes to deadbeat parents.wish all states were that tough on deadbeats

mcghee

The dad also does not have a normal job, the kind that takes out taxes, nor does he have a single bill in his name - no driver's license - not even any filed tax returns. I have absolutely no fear of him ever taking me to court for visitation since he believes that there is a body attachment in IN for him regarding the enormous backsupport he owes and refuses to pay. I cannot find him, period - there is no paper trail on this guy.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
titansfan said:
be glad hes not in minnesota-he could not only get his dl suspended, but he could face jail time for failing to pay child support. minnesota doesnt play around when it comes to deadbeat parents.wish all states were that tough on deadbeats
WTF does MN have to do with this situation?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">