• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

would his debt be mine when we get married?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ampy2872

What is the name of your state?Ohio

I have several debts that are the result of, I think, an unfair separation agreement. When I was married and had both of our incomes, I was able to pay on time for all my debts. After we were separated, obviously with my income going to only one when I was used to two, I was not able to pay consistantly on all of them. My current boyfriend also has several debts, including two student loans, a credit card bill, and medical bills. He was unemployed for four months, and I used a lot of my own money to help him out. I am working with one of my credit card companies on a "payment plan" but if I default on it, all bills and fees with go back to what they were before. I am looking into debt consolidation because I do not want the negative effects of declaring bankruptcy, but I need help with my debts.

My question is this. It is bad enough to have all of my debt. Only one has been sent to collections that I am aware of. But my boyfriend has several that have been sent to collections, and a bank loan that says they are taking "legal action on." I don't know if this means collections as well or not. We are planning on getting married. This may be a stupid question, but if we get married, am I able to be held accountable for his debt as well? Or is it only debt we accumulate together? I have enough financial problems of my own, and I wasn't sure how it would affect me trying to do the debt consolidation.

seniorjudge

Q: This may be a stupid question, but if we get married, am I able to be held accountable for his debt as well?

A: No.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">