• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Would I be eligible to continue my unemployment benefits?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
You will be considered to have quit your job. When that happens the burden will be on you to prove that you did so with "just cause".

In Ohio you will need to prove it was because of one of the reasons below.

• Your employer failed to meet terms of the employment agreement.

• Your employer failed to provide proper safety measures required by law.

• Your work violated accepted moral or legal standards.
PRHRG is wrong with the COVID 19 response currently in place. Depending on why you were furloughed in March and if you have children at home that require care, you may have been justified to quit due to the night shift.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
I don't think at this point in time anyone can claim to have a clear understanding of what any given state is going to do. These are not usual times.

PayrollHRGuy

PRHRG is wrong with the COVID 19 response currently in place. Depending on why you were furloughed in March and if you have children at home that require care, you may have been justified to quit due to the night shift.
I don't see anywhere the OP mentions that he has child care issues.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
She also said I was wrong. I wasn't.
You are because you gave what appeared to be an exhausted list (needs to be one of those three when it does not need to be one of those three) and there is much more that applies now. Even self employed people qualify for unemployment in Ohio at this point through July 31, due to Covid. He may have a valid unemployment claim. You can't say he doesn't.

PayrollHRGuy

I provided the list from the same document the OP should have been given at the time he filed or was granted UI.

I also answered later in the thread when asked if his company failing to put him back in the same position would be the employer "failing to meet the terms of the employment agreement" with "It very well might."

Since he didn't mention any other issues it is my opinion after 20+ years of dealing on a daily basis with UI agencies that that is his best bet.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
I provided the list from the same document the OP should have been given at the time he filed or was granted UI.

I also answered later in the thread when asked if his company failing to put him back in the same position would be the employer "failing to meet the terms of the employment agreement" with "It very well might."

Since he didn't mention any other issues it is my opinion after 20+ years of dealing on a daily basis with UI agencies that that is his best bet.
There would be no employment agreement in Ohio unless he has a contract. An actual contract.

PayrollHRGuy

There would be no employment agreement in Ohio unless he has a contract. An actual contract.
If that is the case, and I don't think it is because I've seen UI agencies allow verbal agreements to meet the requirements, then the OP is screwed.

Unless there is some other issue that the OP hasn't told us about.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
If that is the case, and I don't think it is because I've seen UI agencies allow verbal agreements to meet the requirements, then the OP is screwed.

Unless there is some other issue that the OP hasn't told us about.
Again he may not be because of COVID 19 and the new implementations Ohio has done with Dewine.

PayrollHRGuy

Again he may not be because of COVID 19 and the new implementations Ohio has done with Dewine.
Other than the laws and rules that were already in place policies were demanded by the Feds to make sure those that should go back to work do so. Those policies were required to get the Fed funding for increased UI. I haven't heard of any state that refused the money or the rules that went along with it.

I still say he should just apply to re-open his claim and see what happens.
I thought he should from the get-go. I just wanted him to be prepared for what they likely will say.

Duke82

Thank you to everyone for the discussion of my situation. I am living with an older family member (with underlying health conditions) who is self quarantining, so I do their grocery shopping, errands, etc.

PayrollHRGuy

Thank you to everyone for the discussion of my situation. I am living with an older family member (with underlying health conditions) who is self quarantining, so I do their grocery shopping, errands, etc.
That may not rise to the level needed to gain protection under the COVID policies. Then again it might.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">