• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Would like to Void and Adoption

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Uniongurl77

What is the name of your state? Michigan

I adopted my ex-husbands daughter when she was 9 years old. She is now 15, living with me, I have full legal and physical custody of her. I have had countless problems with her and I am looking at either a residential school for her, a military school, or to return her to live with her father. I am also considering voiding the adoption if I do return her to her father. Is this possible and how do I go about it?

Mbarr

I sincerely hope not. This is the reason that we advise against stepparent adoptions in my office. Why did you become this child's MOTHER if you are now going to abandon her? Doesn't speak very highly of you. Do you just want to avoid paying child support if you return custody to your ex?

what_2_do

Maybe you are having all these problems with your daughter because you may be coming off as not wanting her. Teens are very difficult to raise but not impossible.

nextwife

Maybe it's because she's, oh, 15?

Would you want to give away a biological daughter if she became difficult at 15?

Uniongurl77

So glad I posted. Not one of you have any idea what either of our lives have been like. I VERY MUCH WANT MY DAUGHTER. I am in a position, not that anyone cared to ask, where I really don't have much choice. I didn't ask for a moral judgement from any of you and I will know who not to ask for legal advice from in the future. Did any one of you stop to think about what circumstances may have caused this????? Nevermind. Small minded whatever it is that you call yourselves have no place in my life. I love my child with all my heart and will until the day that I die. She knows that our, that is really all that matters to me. And Mbarr, the child support question is so out of line, you really do make me nauseous, I make about 3 times what my ex does, and I have no problem paying any expenses, including child support, that is necessary for her to have a successful life.

Veronica1228

Uniongurl77 said:
So glad I posted. Not one of you have any idea what either of our lives have been like. I VERY MUCH WANT MY DAUGHTER. I am in a position, not that anyone cared to ask, where I really don't have much choice. I didn't ask for a moral judgement from any of you and I will know who not to ask for legal advice from in the future. Did any one of you stop to think about what circumstances may have caused this????? Nevermind. Small minded whatever it is that you call yourselves have no place in my life. I love my child with all my heart and will until the day that I die. She knows that our, that is really all that matters to me. And Mbarr, the child support question is so out of line, you really do make me nauseous, I make about 3 times what my ex does, and I have no problem paying any expenses, including child support, that is necessary for her to have a successful life.
So then please explain the reasoning behind your question. I know you're thinking that it's none of our business, but you have to understand that many of the members that post in this forum do so because they have real life experience with having to fight tooth and nail for custody or child support for their children that they love more then themselves. When we hear stories of someone hurting or neglecting a child it makes everyone angry. Wouldn't you be if that's how you perceived this thread? I have to admit that it sounded like you were dumping a child because you just didn't want to bother anymore.

Happy Trails

I am also considering voiding the adoption if I do return her to her father.
I think this statement about voiding the adoption makes it appear you have given up on her. Perhaps if you would of said that you were considering giving custody to the father, it would have been looked at differently.

nextwife

Yes, your daughter is a challenge. I adopted a non-verbal, hearing impaired, badly cross eyed, very ADHD, ODD and developmentally delayed toddler. I, too have challenges. So what? I'm her parent FOREVER. That is what adoption consists of.

We ALL face challenges as parents. Many of which we didn't bargain for. The LEGAL answer is that it does NOT allow us to relinguish our parental rights. You cannot void the adoption, regardless of what she is doing now.

Certainly, two divorced parents CAN revisit the custody issue between them.

Uniongurl77

How dare you ask what the real story is? I would take "a non-verbal, hearing impaired, badly cross eyed, very ADHD, ODD and developmentally delayed toddler" or teenager for that matter, over the issues I have now. And I do know of what I speak. Enough said in my book. You all are narrow minded. I know about revisiting custody, I posed the question I needed an answer to, there was no need to mention custody. Thank you all for nothing but trying to beat down a parent that has truely done everything in her power to try to save a child she adores. I would have assumed that as adults, advertising free legal advice that would be what I would receive, advice. I had no idea that you would all be so narrow minded that in order to get an answer and not be abused, I would have to share our life story. That is private, not for your sport.

Happy Trails

Uniongurl77 said:
How dare you ask what the real story is? I would take "a non-verbal, hearing impaired, badly cross eyed, very ADHD, ODD and developmentally delayed toddler" or teenager for that matter, over the issues I have now. And I do know of what I speak. Enough said in my book. You all are narrow minded. I know about revisiting custody, I posed the question I needed an answer to, there was no need to mention custody. Thank you all for nothing but trying to beat down a parent that has truely done everything in her power to try to save a child she adores. I would have assumed that as adults, advertising free legal advice that would be what I would receive, advice. I had no idea that you would all be so narrow minded that in order to get an answer and not be abused, I would have to share our life story. That is private, not for your sport.
Nextwife gave you your LEGAL answer.

Everything else was for free also.

Veronica1228

Uniongurl, I asked you in private and I'm going to ask you again to stop sending PMs to me. I was one of the few who did not jump on you and tried to see your side of things by giving you a chance to explain so that you could actually receive some advice. I never accused you of neglecting your daughter, I said it was perceived that way. I'm sorry that you misunderstood what I was saying.

In any event, don't send me anymore messages and pay for your legal advice as you said that you were planning to do so. I think that is a very good idea.

Uniongurl77

Veronica1228, I did not receive any request from you. Maybe I precieved you wrong, but I was offended that you would assume that I have no real life experiences in fighting 'tooth and nail' for the rights of children. You will receive nothing else from me, in public or private.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">