• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Would like your opinion

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

C

Cassaundra

I live in Arkansas. My ex lives in Georgia. Right now my ex has custody of our daughter.

I live with my best friend and his wife for almost 6 years. They gave me a place to go when I left my husband after 7 years. Well, my ex alledged that my relationship with my best friend was more than just friendly and took me to court for custody. The court in this backwoods place took his side and gave her to him without any change in visitation or other stipulations. Since then I moved into my own home. My ex has given me a hard time ever since. He tells me that my daughter is not allowed to spend any time with or see my friend, his wife or their families when she is here. He doesn't allow her to talk to them on the phone and has a total fit when they are mentioned. The order does not state anything about restricting who she spends time with or anything else. Basically he is jealous because his daughter adores a couple who he sees as responsible for my divorcing him.

How does the court view things like this? Any opinions?

Brightness,
Cassaundra

carofl93

my own opinion on your ex

I don't know about the court's stance on this, but when my hubby's ex had custody I was never allowed to speak to my stepdaughter because it was "hubby's time." When we got custody we let stepdaughter talk to mommy's boyfriend just to be nice. The relationship went sour when mommy up and decided she had no child, so now he (now mommy's new hubby) is not allowed to talk to stepdaughter...they haven't called in almost 8 months anyway. I agree with you...he has a jealousy problem and doesn't want your daughter to get attached to your friends which is a crock of shyt in my own opinion. When we went to court the last time, I had a letter that I had written to stepdaughter that had been opened, read, sealed back up and returned by her mom and I think it really helped our case because it showed that she was not willing to let me be part of her daughter's life. If you don't already keep a log of what he says and does, start one now. Our judge used our log as part of his decision.

Carol

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">