• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

writning a book about somebody

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

S

satyricon

What is the name of your state? MA

Assuming I don't make stuff up, can I write a factual book about someone (not famous) without their permission ????

If not, how is it different than a newspaper publishing a story about them ????

Would there be a difference between writing a book about a "newsworthy" story, and just documenting their life ????

(really not a stalker, LOL)

Thanks

H

hexeliebe

It depends entirely on the facts of the publication, the person and the source of information. In other words, based on what you put in this post, who the hell knows?

S

satyricon

hexeliebe said:
It depends entirely on the facts of the publication, the person and the source of information. In other words, based on what you put in this post, who the hell knows?
Let say I write my autobiography. And I describe that a person, I name, worked with me in a legal, but unattractive enterprise (e.g. we cleaned septic tanks), can they stop me solely because they don't want me talking about it and identifiying them? Is that a privacy right of theirs ????

H

hexeliebe

as long as it is factual then they can sue you if they want, but they will likely not win. Of course, unless this is a famous, infamous or otherwise well-known person, who would care?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">