• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Written (e-mail) but not in contract

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

zen1989

We hired a small home design company.
They said in an email they would do something that I did not insist to become part of the contract thinking that they would live up to what they had written and said.

In the end as it happens they did not :) and they said they just did everything according to the agreement.
And this I cannot dispute.

I asked them about what they had confirmed in the e-mail, but they did not give a straight response, they kept saying they fulfilled their contract.

I just wonder if something that is written, but not in the signed contract, is it legally binding?

California

Last edited:

Taxing Matters

Overtaxed Member
The general rule for contract law is that communications exchanged prior to execution of the final written contract are not admissible in court to determine what the contract requires. The assumption is that everything that the parties wanted is included in the final contract, and everything else discussed before was just part of negotiating to reach that final contract. So in the future, if you want something that is promised during the course of negotiating the contract, be sure it is actually in the final written agreement before you sign it.

zen1989

The general rule for contract law is that communications exchanged prior to execution of the final written contract are not admissible in court to determine what the contract requires. The assumption is that everything that the parties wanted is included in the final contract, and everything else discussed before was just part of negotiating to reach that final contract. So in the future, if you want something that is promised during the course of negotiating the contract, be sure it is actually in the final written agreement before you sign it.
Thank you! Yes, now I know :).

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">