• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Written exception to a proposed order

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Cupezo

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Maryland

I received a proposed order after a court date that I (the custodial parent) and the non-custodial parent didn't appear for. I was told it wasn't required that I appear, but now I wish I had. The non-custodial parent hasn't paid support since October 2013 and is over $5k in the arrears.

I do not agree with the proposed order and it looks like I'm given the opportunity to write an exception to the proposed order (in pursuant to Maryland rule 9-208 (f)). I would like to do that, but I don't know how, or what to put in it. How is this prepared and what details should be included?

The proposed order states that a show cause order be discharged for lack of service; child support office prepare a new show cause order and that if a new show cause order isn't prepared withing 60 days, the petition to cite for contempt will be dismissed without prejudice.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Maryland

I received a proposed order after a court date that I (the custodial parent) and the non-custodial parent didn't appear for. I was told it wasn't required that I appear, but now I wish I had. The non-custodial parent hasn't paid support since October 2013 and is over $5k in the arrears.

I do not agree with the proposed order and it looks like I'm given the opportunity to write an exception to the proposed order (in pursuant to Maryland rule 9-208 (f)). I would like to do that, but I don't know how, or what to put in it. How is this prepared and what details should be included?

The proposed order states that a show cause order be discharged for lack of service; child support office prepare a new show cause order and that if a new show cause order isn't prepared withing 60 days, the petition to cite for contempt will be dismissed without prejudice.
What exception could you have? The other party wasn't served and needs to be served.

Cupezo

The proposed order stated that the show cause order is going to be discharged and a new show cause order be prepared. The part of the proposed order that has me concerned says that if the show cause order isn't prepared within 60 days, the "Petition to Cite for Contempt will be dismissed without prejudice". That sounds like something I should try to avoid, if I want the defendant to be served and to appear in court. Is there anything I can do to avoid that? I don't know a valid address for the defendant and he has no job.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
The proposed order stated that the show cause order is going to be discharged and a new show cause order be prepared. The part of the proposed order that has me concerned says that if the show cause order isn't prepared within 60 days, the "Petition to Cite for Contempt will be dismissed without prejudice". That sounds like something I should try to avoid, if I want the defendant to be served and to appear in court. Is there anything I can do to avoid that? I don't know a valid address for the defendant and he has no job.
"Without prejudice"means that the matter can be brought again.

If you don't know where he is and he has no job, what do you expect to accomplish?

It doesn't sound like it would have made a difference whether you appeared or not. The Defendant was not served. You really need to figure out where he is. Facebook? Friends? Family? Does he have a previous employment history?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">