• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Wronfully Accused

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

I was at work and a co-worker started talking about a new nurse intern that is training in the ER. She was saying horrible things about her for several minutes and then asked me if I knew who she was talking about. I said " Isn't she the little black girl" and put out my hand to show the low height. My co-worker said yes, thats her and I replied that I had only met her once and she seemed nice enough. Co-worker then continued to talk about her and mentioned that the new nurse was telling staff members that she was going to a certain shift that is coveted by many. My response to that was that our new ER manager was a rule stickler so I wasn't worried...that was the end of it, until my co-worker (who has a mixed race child) went to my new boss (who is black) and told her that I made racist statements and lied to her claiming that I said that I told her the new nurse was getting the coveted shift as she was black and so was my new manager. I was called into the office and it was obvious that my manager believed everything she was told, told me that I was not allowed to talk to this girl who accused me unless it was to offer up an apology ( I refused as it was a lie) and then turned me into HR. There was, BTW, a witness to the conversation who sided with me. I recently decided that after 23 years in the ER, I have had enough and took a work from home job and put in my notice. During this meeting with the boss where I gave notice, she was much calmer than the first time we met and stated that she now doesn't believe I am a racist and that I didn't say those things I was accused of and I told her that my statement about the girls height was descriptive, not racist ( I am 6'2" and the girl is 5'1") and the rest was an out and out lie and that I believed my co-worker pulled the race card as it is the one thing that would have infuriated her and it worked. Other co-workers who heard about what happened think I should take this situation all the way up to corporate compliance. BTW, the CNO is best friends with my accuser...she had her as a bridesmaid and her FB is full of pictures of the two of them. I don't believe I will be treated fairly and want this off my record, never in 23 years has anything like this happened to me. I don't know what to do. FYI, not that I think honestly that this has any bearing on it, I am the only jewish employee in the hospital.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
I was at work and a co-worker started talking about a new nurse intern that is training in the ER. She was saying horrible things about her for several minutes and then asked me if I knew who she was talking about. I said " Isn't she the little black girl" and put out my hand to show the low height. My co-worker said yes, thats her and I replied that I had only met her once and she seemed nice enough. Co-worker then continued to talk about her and mentioned that the new nurse was telling staff members that she was going to a certain shift that is coveted by many. My response to that was that our new ER manager was a rule stickler so I wasn't worried...that was the end of it, until my co-worker (who has a mixed race child) went to my new boss (who is black) and told her that I made racist statements and lied to her claiming that I said that I told her the new nurse was getting the coveted shift as she was black and so was my new manager. I was called into the office and it was obvious that my manager believed everything she was told, told me that I was not allowed to talk to this girl who accused me unless it was to offer up an apology ( I refused as it was a lie) and then turned me into HR. There was, BTW, a witness to the conversation who sided with me. I recently decided that after 23 years in the ER, I have had enough and took a work from home job and put in my notice. During this meeting with the boss where I gave notice, she was much calmer than the first time we met and stated that she now doesn't believe I am a racist and that I didn't say those things I was accused of and I told her that my statement about the girls height was descriptive, not racist ( I am 6'2" and the girl is 5'1") and the rest was an out and out lie and that I believed my co-worker pulled the race card as it is the one thing that would have infuriated her and it worked. She would like me to stay on as a PRN employee and I dont know if that is such a great idea. Other co-workers who heard about what happened think I should take this situation all the way up to corporate compliance. BTW, the CNO is best friends with my accuser...she had her as a bridesmaid and her FB is full of pictures of the two of them. I don't believe I will be treated fairly and want this off my record. I don't know what to do.
You want what off your "record"?

I dont want my record at the hospital with the large system to say that I am a racist and made racist statements, especially when there was a witness to the conversation who is being ignored

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
I dont want my record at the hospital with the large system to say that I am a racist and made racist statements, especially when there was a witness to the conversation who is being ignored
Why do you believe that your record at the hospital says such things? It seems to me that there was merely an accusation that was investigated and found to be untrue.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
SC does not require an employer to give personnel file access to employees.

commentator

"I recently decided that after 23 years in the ER, I have had enough and took a work from home job and put in my notice."

So what difference would it make in the grand scheme of things whether anything about this incident is in your personnel files? You're leaving this job, you have another job, and it is very doubtful that your employer would be giving you any sort of reference where this would be brought up even if you do use them as a reference for something in the future. It seems like something that you should just forget about and move on. In many workplace situations, "fair" and accurate isn't something you can legitimately hope for. There is certainly no law requiring it.

6 minutes ago
  • Add bookmark
  • #1I am in South Carolina. I have been a ER RN for 24 years, working now at a job for 4 years with no absenteeism, call outs, med errors etc... Please read the above. Since then, my boss decided that she didn't want people picking up partial shifts and had it not been for my co-workers giving me hours, I would not have worked at all. Then she started giving out jobs that came open based on who she liked and kept changing the requirements...making it impossible for me to take one even though I have seniority. The final blow? I had two teenagers aged 15 and 17 check in to the ER and they complained I was rude. One teenager stated that they didn't want to check in after hearing that a co-pay was likely and they were going to go to the health department. As teaching is part of my job I told this person so be sure to get blood work as well to check for Hep C and HIV. BTW, No one else was at the desk when this conversation took place. I was SENT HOME and taken off the work schedule for the last two weeks while my boss, in her words, did a "very serious investigation". Finally, I get a call today telling me to come in and go to the administrative conference room at 330 pm. That only means one thing. She plans to terminate me. How can I be terminated on the complaints of two teenagers when I have never recieved any kind of verbal or written warnings or any other type of reprimand in my entire career? FYI, I am her only jewish employee and I am beginning to think there is reverse racism going on here. I would appreciate any thoughts.

"I recently decided that after 23 years in the ER, I have had enough and took a work from home job and put in my notice."

So what difference would it make in the grand scheme of things whether anything about this incident is in your personnel files? You're leaving this job, you have another job, and it is very doubtful that your employer would be giving you any sort of reference where this would be brought up even if you do use them as a reference for something in the future. It seems like something that you should just forget about and move on. In many workplace situations, "fair" and accurate isn't something you can legitimately hope for. There is certainly no law requiring it.
because they have the monopoly in this area and I would be shut out of almost every other job in the area

quincy

How old is the coworker? If not under the age of 18, you calling her a "girl" was inappropriate. She's a woman.

Just Blue

I was at work and a co-worker started talking about a new nurse intern that is training in the ER. She was saying horrible things about her for several minutes and then asked me if I knew who she was talking about. I said " Isn't she the little black girl" and put out my hand to show the low height. My co-worker said yes, thats her and I replied that I had only met her once and she seemed nice enough. Co-worker then continued to talk about her and mentioned that the new nurse was telling staff members that she was going to a certain shift that is coveted by many. My response to that was that our new ER manager was a rule stickler so I wasn't worried...that was the end of it, until my co-worker (who has a mixed race child) went to my new boss (who is black) and told her that I made racist statements and lied to her claiming that I said that I told her the new nurse was getting the coveted shift as she was black and so was my new manager. I was called into the office and it was obvious that my manager believed everything she was told, told me that I was not allowed to talk to this girl who accused me unless it was to offer up an apology ( I refused as it was a lie) and then turned me into HR. There was, BTW, a witness to the conversation who sided with me. I recently decided that after 23 years in the ER, I have had enough and took a work from home job and put in my notice. During this meeting with the boss where I gave notice, she was much calmer than the first time we met and stated that she now doesn't believe I am a racist and that I didn't say those things I was accused of and I told her that my statement about the girls height was descriptive, not racist ( I am 6'2" and the girl is 5'1") and the rest was an out and out lie and that I believed my co-worker pulled the race card as it is the one thing that would have infuriated her and it worked. Other co-workers who heard about what happened think I should take this situation all the way up to corporate compliance. BTW, the CNO is best friends with my accuser...she had her as a bridesmaid and her FB is full of pictures of the two of them. I don't believe I will be treated fairly and want this off my record, never in 23 years has anything like this happened to me. I don't know what to do. FYI, not that I think honestly that this has any bearing on it, I am the only jewish employee in the hospital.
LongSally, Please post and and all question on this topic on this thread. Thank You...

I am still an employee there and I want the option to be able to return to another department or area which will be difficult of this remains on my record. The co-worker is over 18, obviously as she is a nurse as well. Is that all you have to say Quincy?

eerelations

I am still an employee there and I want the option to be able to return to another department or area which will be difficult of this remains on my record. The co-worker is over 18, obviously as she is a nurse as well. Is that all you have to say Quincy?
So it was inappropriate of you to call her a little girl. It will remain as part of your work record forever, because you said it, because you admit to saying it. There's nothing you can do now to erase that fact.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">