• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Wrong address on auto insurance = fraud?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

A

Anne

I'm concerned about my stepdaughter's auto insurance. She bought a new car when she moved in with us over a year ago, but she insured the car with her mother's address. Apparently, her mother talked her into this in order to keep her multi-car discount.

Could this cause my stepdaughter (age 20) any problems if she ever files a claim? (Both addresses are within 30 miles of each other in Tennessee, but I don't know how much of a difference there would be in rates.) I know my stepdaughter has a hard time saying No to her mother, but I'll insist if it puts her at risk.

L

lars coltrane

I can give you some thoughts, but not a true, final answer. Does your step daughter use her mom's address as her permanent address? is your place really just a temporary residence? is there a difference in rates? Do you have a good relationship with an agent that your can ask?

good luck.

[This message has been edited by m martin (edited May 31, 2000).]

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Arial, Helvetica, Verdana">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Anne:
I'm concerned about my stepdaughter's auto insurance. She bought a new car when she moved in with us over a year ago, but she insured the car with her mother's address. Apparently, her mother talked her into this in order to keep her multi-car discount.

Could this cause my stepdaughter (age 20) any problems if she ever files a claim? (Both addresses are within 30 miles of each other in Tennessee, but I don't know how much of a difference there would be in rates.) I know my stepdaughter has a hard time saying No to her mother, but I'll insist if it puts her at risk.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

My response:

Yes. Let's assume, for the sake of discussion, that she's lied on her application concerning where she lives and/or where the car is "garaged." Insurance rates are determined by, among other factors, where she lives. If she makes a claim and, under oath, says that she was not a resident of the listed address, or the car was not garaged, at the listed address, or if she tells a lie (again), and it is later discovered that she lied under oath, then the insurance company can rescind the contract, and refund any unearned premium payments. False statements in application: "When . . . an application for insurance is a part of the contract, and the statements in the application are expressly declared to be warranties, they are to be treated as such . . . and must be strictly true, or the policy will not take effect." [Wolverine Brass Works v. Pacific Coast Cas. Co. (1915) 26 Cal.App. 183, 185, 146 P 184, 185]

So, if the policy does not "take effect", and she causes $35,000.00 in damages, but she is only entitled to a refund of premiums paid, then you do the math.

Believe me when I say, this is not unique, and she is not very smart. Insurance companies love it when they can rescind a contract, and leave an "insured" flapping in the wind.

IAAL

------------------
By reading the “Response” to your question or comment, you agree that: The opinions expressed herein by "I AM ALWAYS LIABLE" are designed to provide educational information only and are not intended to, nor do they, offer legal advice. Opinions expressed to you in this site are not intended to, nor does it, create an attorney-client relationship, nor does it constitute legal advice to any person reviewing such information. No electronic communication with "I AM ALWAYS LIABLE," on its own, will generate an attorney-client relationship, nor will it be considered an attorney-client privileged communication. You further agree that you will obtain your own attorney's advice and counsel for your questions responded to herein by "I AM ALWAYS LIABLE."

A

Anne

Yep, giving the insurance company any excuse to rescind the contract, that's what I was afraid of. I'll have to insist that my husband talk to his daughter about this.

Our home *is* her permanent residence. This is the address for her employment, bank accounts, credit card, etc. Everything but that auto insurance policy... just to save her mother a few bucks. Ridiculous.

Thanks everyone!

L

Lianne

On a related subject, what about all those minor questions the insurance company asks when you insure a car? "Is this the vehicle you drive to work, or is it just used for pleasure? If you drive it to work, what is the driving distance?" Are those issues a big enough deal to constitute fraud if you lie? I would imagine it's a rare case that the insurance company ever tries to validate those answers in the event of a claim, but still...those are the questions that a consumer is most likely to lie about (in the interest of reducing their premium).

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">