• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Wrong Address

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

twojules

What is the name of your state? NY
Just a quick question. I have lived in my house for almost 3 years. I bought the land and built the house. No one had ever lived on the land before. I am getting letters from an attorney trying to collect debt from someone I have never heard of. I have called the phone number on the letter and told them 3 different times. The person the letter is addressed to is the same last name as mine. Then someone hired by the same atty office actually came on my property and taped a summons on my door. This has been going on for months and each time I get one of these letters in the mail I do the same thing I write return to sender and that no one by this name at this address ever!! But they keep sending them. Any recourse here? Thank you

TigerD

What is the name of your state? NY
Just a quick question. I have lived in my house for almost 3 years. I bought the land and built the house. No one had ever lived on the land before. I am getting letters from an attorney trying to collect debt from someone I have never heard of. I have called the phone number on the letter and told them 3 different times. The person the letter is addressed to is the same last name as mine. Then someone hired by the same atty office actually came on my property and taped a summons on my door. This has been going on for months and each time I get one of these letters in the mail I do the same thing I write return to sender and that no one by this name at this address ever!! But they keep sending them. Any recourse here? Thank you
Call the court to find out if they now have a judgment against you.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Call the court to find out if they now have a judgment against you.
DC - unless the OP has the same FIRST name as the deadbeat - then there won't be a judgment against *him*. Ie: Robert Allen Smith lives at the place for 3 years paying all his bills. Then, Jerry Wadsworth Smith (with the same address) gets a default judgment against him. Our OP (Robert) does NOT have a judgment against him.

alright

send these people and c&s letter, making sure they know that they are harassing the wrong person and that if it continues, you will sue them for harassment!!!!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">