• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Wrong beneficiary!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Quinkers

Long story short my mom opened a policy in 89 I was born in 95 and the policy was never updated. We are currently paying the mortgage on her house. Her primary beneficiary is her husband from 2 marriages ago that passed away. Her secondaries are her parents. We have her will and I'm told it means nothing. Is there anything that can be done? My grandfather believes that the money was meant to be given to us so he is giving us half no questions asked. But my grandmother hadn't been talking to my mom and is being taken care of by my aunt who has charges for impersonating my mom, getting false credit cards and bunch of other things.. my grandma is schizophrenic. That's the jist of it all. My grandma wouldnt probably be manipulated by my aunt and such.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Your mother's policy will pay out to the alternate beneficiaries. You mother's will has no bearing on the matter in that regard. If your grandfather believes that you are the intended recipient(s) of the proceeds, then he can give you the money once he receives it.

Quinkers

Your mother's policy will pay out to the alternate beneficiaries. You mother's will has no bearing on the matter in that regard. If your grandfather believes that you are the intended recipient(s) of the proceeds, then he can give you the money once he receives it.
Yeah pretty much. But him and my grandma are both secondaries so she will get exactly half. Which she will probably not be willing to give up.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Yeah pretty much. But him and my grandma are both secondaries so she will get exactly half. Which she will probably not be willing to give up.
She has no legal obligation to do so as it would be her money.

PayrollHRGuy

Quick question. Why are you continuing to paying the mortgage on the house? Are you going to receive it in the will?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">