• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Wrong date on ticket

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

C

CANIWEASELOUT?

What is the name of your state? va

hey...got a ticket in va. it has the correct day of the week on it, but it has the wrong date. can i weasel out?

racer72

Depends. If the officers report has the wrong date, that may be enough for dismissal. If the report has the correct date, your citation can be easily amended. Some courts allow amendment of both the officers report and citation, it depends on the judge.

To get a copy of the officers report, you will have to ask the judge for a subpeona. You may wish to contact a local attorney for this.

DmniRican

Just thought I'd throw in ym two cents here because I recently experienced something similar. The officer put the wrong date on my ticket (put it for one day in advance). I went to a store and used my debit card for approximately the same time. The ticket was about 60 miles from where I lived, so the receipt provided me an alibi. Here's the catcher though:

The ticket CAN be amended. BUT, if the DA doesn't amend it for the correct date, an alibi legally should get you off since the charge on the ticket has to be proven beyond reasonable doubt. I got off on my charge because luckily for me, the DA's office was totally incompetant. I faxed them the paper stating the nature of my defense (I was in another city at the time of the incident) before my first court date, but the DA's office never got the ticket amended. It went to trial by judge, and the judge caught what was happening right off the bat. H e found me not guilty as I had a valid alibi, and let the DA know that they should have sought an amendment as soon as they received the nature of my defense notification.

Basically, you should have two things: an alibi for the current incorrect date, and a back-up plan if/when the ticket is amended. Hope that helps

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">