• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Wrong defendant name on claim

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Hope7

What is the name of your state? California
Hi, i need some advice please!
I have received an order to go to small claim court for minor accident that my mom had. She is the owner and driver of the car and I’m the primary insurance holder but the name of defendant is my name instead of hers! How should I hv it fixed? Should I go to the court or should ai hv my insurance company contact the plaintiff and have them correct it?

Last edited:

adjusterjack

Notify your insurance company immediately. They will handle it. Your insurance papers should have a toll free direct number to report claims. Get a claim number, a rep's name and phone number, fax or email the lawsuit papers ASAP.

Why wasn't the accident reported to your insurance when it happened?

Hope7

Notify your insurance company immediately. They will handle it. Your insurance papers should have a toll free direct number to report claims. Get a claim number, a rep's name and phone number, fax or email the lawsuit papers ASAP.

i reported it to my insurance when it happened last year and my insurance sent them a check but she didn’t accept the amount and asked for more, my insurance says she is asking for 17 days of car rental even her car was in the shop for repair for 4 days only, so my insurance couldn’t settle it and said we hv to go to court. I informed my insurance about the name also that is wrong on papers and sent them a copy but no action was taken!

Taxing Matters

Overtaxed Member
I informed my insurance about the name also that is wrong on papers and sent them a copy but no action was taken!
The problem is that attorneys are not allowed in California small claims court. So the insurance company's lawyers cannot assist you with this. In small claims court most motions are not allowed in the interest of keeping things simple and relatively fast. Nevertheless you may file a motion to dismiss stating that the wrong party was sued and see if the court will grant it. There is a small claims court form you can use for this:
http://courts.ca.gov/documents/sc105.pdf
Before you do that I suggest you contact the small claims court advisor for the court in your county. Each county has one and they are allowed to give you some advice on what you can and cannot do. As far as I know, there is no charge for that.

Your other option is to just show up and tell the court that you weren't the driver of the car — your mother was the driver of the car.

FlyingRon

While attorneys are not permitted in small claims, that doesn't exempt the insurer from their duties to defend the policy holder.
They should assist the policy holder in making the motions mentioned, or have the case removed to a court where their attorney can appear, or just pay the person.

Taxing Matters

Overtaxed Member
While attorneys are not permitted in small claims, that doesn't exempt the insurer from their duties to defend the policy holder.
They should assist the policy holder in making the motions mentioned, or have the case removed to a court where their attorney can appear, or just pay the person.
The California rules make that difficult. In an effort to ensure that large, well funded defendants can't bury the plaintiff in costs by transferring the case to superior court the state does not allow defendants to freely transfer the case to a higher court like a number of other states do. The defendant may only transfer to superior court if the court lacks jurisdiction over the plaintiff's claim (e.g. the claim is for more than what small claims court allows or is a type of action that cannot be maintained in small claims) or the defendant's counter claims exceed the small claims limit.

Moreover, the rule for attorney participation in small claims actions is:

(a) Except as permitted by this section, no attorney may take part in the conduct or defense of a small claims action.
(b) Subdivision (a) does not apply if the attorney is appearing to maintain or defend an action in any of the following capacities:
(1) By or against himself or herself.
(2) By or against a partnership in which he or she is a general partner and in which all the partners are attorneys.
(3) By or against a professional corporation of which he or she is an officer or director and of which all other officers and directors are attorneys.
(c) Nothing in this section shall prevent an attorney from doing any of the following:
(1) Providing advice to a party to a small claims action, either before or after the commencement of the action.
(2) Testifying to facts of which he or she has personal knowledge and about which he or she is competent to testify.
(3) Representing a party in an appeal to the superior court.
(4) Representing a party in connection with the enforcement of a judgment.

California Code of Civil Procedure section 116.530.

The language in (a) is very broad, and by itself would bar the attorney from doing anything for a client in a small claims case. The exception in (c)(1) then must be construed narrowly, meaning the attorney is allowed to provide "advice" but nothing more; that would appear then to preclude the attorney actually drafting motions or doing anything else that goes beyond mere advice.

LdiJ

What is the name of your state? California
Hi, i need some advice please!
I have received an order to go to small claim court for minor accident that my mom had. She is the owner and driver of the car and I’m the primary insurance holder but the name of defendant is my name instead of hers! How should I hv it fixed? Should I go to the court or should ai hv my insurance company contact the plaintiff and have them correct it?
If your mom owns the car, and your mom is the driver of the car, why is the insurance in your name?

Hope7

If your mom owns the car, and your mom is the driver of the car, why is the insurance in your name?
we have 2 cars and we are all listed as the drivers for both cars in our insurance, she is the owner of one and i'm the owner of the other one, but on our insurance card it just shows one name which is mine only and her name is attached on the separate page/document.

Hope7

The problem is that attorneys are not allowed in California small claims court. So the insurance company's lawyers cannot assist you with this. In small claims court most motions are not allowed in the interest of keeping things simple and relatively fast. Nevertheless you may file a motion to dismiss stating that the wrong party was sued and see if the court will grant it. There is a small claims court form you can use for this:
http://courts.ca.gov/documents/sc105.pdf
Before you do that I suggest you contact the small claims court advisor for the court in your county. Each county has one and they are allowed to give you some advice on what you can and cannot do. As far as I know, there is no charge for that.

Your other option is to just show up and tell the court that you weren't the driver of the car — your mother was the driver of the car.
thank you

Hope7

My insurance paid for repair and rental car but she is asking for more and since she doesn’t have any proof for her claim my insurance refused to pay her more. Insurance said they will give me some documents and prepare me for court and they said me and my mom both should go and inform the judge that my mom is a defendant and it needs to be corrected! I have never been in any court so I hv no idea. I guess we should go and see what will happen.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">