• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

wrong identity

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

M

mah

my daughter in planning to move,put in a application to rent.when the owner got back to her he told her that he not only puts in for a credit check he runs a criminal check,in doing so he came up with a bunch of other names the same as hers that included criminal charges,evictions,lawsuits,federal charges,& so on.To which none of these are hers,she has always had a great rental record,never been in any trouble of any kind.
these others even showed birthdates different than hers & she can prove that she has never lived or been in these other states or counties.we are wondering why none of this has'nt ever come up before.this owner only put in her first & last name,not her middle,he does not believe us even though we can show proof & rejected her application.How can she stop this from happening? Is there some way to fix this problem besides changing her name?there are even traffic warrants that we are afraid that if she ever got stopped that they might even arrest her thinking shes one of these other people! What can we do! Thank you.

L

lawrat

I am a law school graduate. What I offer is mere information, not to be construed as forming an attorney client relationship.

Okay, this actually happens more often than you think. I suggest you get a credit report from each of the reporting agencies : equifax, trans union and experion and go from there. Next time you rent, you make sure the day or week before you get a copy of your credit report and bring it with you. I also suggest speaking with someone in a police department about the traffic tickets/warrants. Without giving your name, ask a police sergeant if this ever happens and if it does, how does one prevent it from happening.

Become active in finding out where the landlord got this information....you have a right to their copy they used to deny rent. Don't stop at no, and make sure you tell them their mistake and that if they don't attempt to reconcile, they can be reported to the better busines bureau for not thoroughly or properly doing a credit check.

Hope this helps. Check out landlord tenant law stuff too at freeadvice.com's homepage.

M

mah

Thank You,Lawrat for your reply.I copied it
to give to my daughter.You gave us something to start with,which is a big sigh of relief.I will check out the landlord/tenant stuff to read up on.
We thank you!
mah

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">