• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Wrong item sent as replacement for my defective item

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Shanasman450

State - Mississippi

I recently had the power supply unit (PSU) in my computer go bad while I was using it. So I reached out to Corsair to start an RMA claim. Everything was going smoothly, I had packaged and sent in the defective PSU and they sent me an email back with the tracking number of my replacement unit a few days later.

The estimated arrival date was correct and my wife contacted me at work to let me know that the package had arrived, but it was not what I was expecting. Corsair had not replaced my defective PSU with a replacement PSU, but with a gaming headset. I contacted Corsair to tell them what had happened and they had sent out a replacement PSU the next day via next day air.

My question is this: Would it be within my rights, or legal if that's the word you'd rather use for this, for me to keep the headset. Corsair did express that they would like the headset back and provided a pre-paid return label, but it I'm not breaking any laws by capitalizing on their mistake then I would rather sell it and use that money for bills.

Just Blue

State - Mississippi

I recently had the power supply unit (PSU) in my computer go bad while I was using it. So I reached out to Corsair to start an RMA claim. Everything was going smoothly, I had packaged and sent in the defective PSU and they sent me an email back with the tracking number of my replacement unit a few days later.

The estimated arrival date was correct and my wife contacted me at work to let me know that the package had arrived, but it was not what I was expecting. Corsair had not replaced my defective PSU with a replacement PSU, but with a gaming headset. I contacted Corsair to tell them what had happened and they had sent out a replacement PSU the next day via next day air.

My question is this: Would it be within my rights, or legal if that's the word you'd rather use for this, for me to keep the headset. Corsair did express that they would like the headset back and provided a pre-paid return label, but it I'm not breaking any laws by capitalizing on their mistake then I would rather sell it and use that money for bills.
No. It would not be within your "rights" to steal from the company. Why you think you could have the "right" to steal from them is baffling.

Shanasman450

I'm sorry if it came across that way. Let me set this straight, I don't consider it within my rights to steal. I simply wondered if there were any laws regarding this and turned to google. I found this link (https://www.consumer.ftc.gov/articles/0181-unordered-merchandise) and that just added to the confusion. Thus the question here. I personally find reading anything law related confusing beyond belief so I'm asking out of pure interest in not breaking the law, not because I wan't to indulge in any entitled way of thinking.

Just Blue

I'm sorry if it came across that way. Let me set this straight, I don't consider it within my rights to steal. I simply wondered if there were any laws regarding this and turned to google. I found this link (https://www.consumer.ftc.gov/articles/0181-unordered-merchandise) and that just added to the confusion. Thus the question here. I personally find reading anything law related confusing beyond belief so I'm asking out of pure interest in not breaking the law, not because I wan't to indulge in any entitled way of thinking.
The ^link has nothing to do with your situation. You received the wrong ORDERED item. You complained and they send the correct item with the paid shipping for the incorrect item to be returned. The link is regarding items that are randomly sent to you.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">