• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Wrong item sent charging me to return it.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

crumb

What is the name of your state? UT
I purchased an item online that was a great price for black Friday. They sent me the wrong item. I called them to get the correct item sent and they are sold out. I could have purchased this at a deal elsewhere for black Friday but not anymore. And now they want to charge me for the return shipping. I have purchased many things from this company in the past. I am pretty upset how things have transpired. What is my legal obligation? I have read if a company sends you something incorrect you don't have to return it but they are obligated to refund you. Is that true?

quincy

What is the name of your state? UT
I purchased an item online that was a great price for black Friday. They sent me the wrong item. I called them to get the correct item sent and they are sold out. I could have purchased this at a deal elsewhere for black Friday but not anymore. And now they want to charge me for the return shipping. I have purchased many things from this company in the past. I am pretty upset how things have transpired. What is my legal obligation? I have read if a company sends you something incorrect you don't have to return it but they are obligated to refund you. Is that true?
Not exactly true, no.

If you order something from a company and they send you the wrong item, you should ask for a return label and send the item back, at the company’s expense. The company needs to refund your money. If the company refuses to send a return label, you do not have to send the item back at your expense - but your money should still be refunded.

If a random company sends you something you didn’t order and you placed no order with the company at all, you can keep the unwanted unordered item. You do not have to pay for it.

In other words, you should not have to pay for something you didn’t order, including the return shipping costs.

If it makes you feel any better, a study of Black Friday “deals” showed that prices on these deals dropped even more on Saturday and today.

quincy

Thanks quincy. Sounds like I just need to demand free shipping.
If the company wants the item back, yes. You can demand free return shipping and a full refund. You do not have to pay for the company’s mistake.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">