• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

wrong name and information

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.


Junior Member
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? colorado

Im very curious about my situation i got a speeding ticket. I went in to pay it and the county clerk said i didn't have a ticket on file i asked if she was sure and to please check statewide...again nothing. A few months later i get caught speeding 5 over no biggie i think, after he pulls me over he goes through all the motions comes back to my car and tells me my license is in denial. So i gotta leave my car there i go back to the county clerk to see whats going on and apparently they spelled my name completely wrong on the ticket and thats why i couldn't pay it i ended up losing my job because it came back as having something under my record lost my brand new car because i lost my insurance due to them taking my license spent 2 weeks in jail and the D.A still made me plead guilty...do i have any recourse any help would be appreciated

Hey There

A start

A lawyer in your area or possibly on the internet should be able to advise you on what your options are.
Some lawyers will give a free consultation to access what can be done. Some charge a small fee. According to a book published by NOLO on contesting traffic tickets a local lawyer is usually preferable.
Finding a lawyer may take some time and patience.
The Yellow pages should have which lawyers give a free or reduced one time consultation.
For information on how to choose a lawyer Google
How To Choose A Lawyer.
A copy of your file would be useful and should be available for a small fee for each page from a court clerk. Hopefully in the file would be the ticket with your name mispelled so that you would have proof that you had no way of paying the fine when there was no record of a traffic violation in your name. There have been cases where the wrong person was charged with a traffic violation due to computer gliches. Two friends have had this happen to them. Not there. Can prove they were someplace else and still had to be persistent to have the ticket dropped.
Google Speeding Ticket FAQ and scroll down to
Will errors on the ticket result in the charges being dropped?
You wouldn't happen to have the original ticket stuffed away somewhere?

Let us know how this goes,
Best Regards,
Hey There

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential