• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Wrong SS number on Bankruptcy papers

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.



What is the name of your state? Washington


I'm helping my elderly father complete a chapter 7 bankruptcy. When I filled out the forms, I put down the wrong SS number (he provided me with the wrong number).

Anyway, I realized the mistake and told the trustee about it at the 341 hearing. The trustee allowed the hearing to proceed and gave us a form to correct the SS number. We were supposed to fill out the form and submit it to the court. The trustee also said that we must "serve" the form to all three credit bureaus and all the creditors, and then provide proof of service to the court.

I called the bankruptcy court and asked what proof of service meant, but they wouldn't tell me. Does anyone know if a certified, return-receipt slip is considered proof of service in this case?

Thank you for your help.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential