• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Wrong Way in a One-Way

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

cmd0030

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Alabama
I am a college student and received my first ticket last night. I dropped a friend off at her car after studying in the library, and proceeded to turn into what I thought was the parking lot right beside the bar she was parked in front of. There were parking spaces facing the direction in which I was driving, so it was an honest mistake. The "parking lot" turned out to be a one-way alley that ends about a quarter of a mile in the opposite direction from my apartment. I turned in going the correct way, but thinking it was a parking lot, I immediately turned around as soon as I turned on to the road. I merged on the road I had turned off of and noticed a police officer sitting right outside of a turn lane in the middle of the road, waiting to get behind me. I drove half a mile before the officer turned on his lights. When I pulled over, I told him that I thought I had turned into a parking lot and didn't understand what I'd done wrong. I asked him twice and still didn't understand until I asked a friend about the "parking lot" later. I went back to look at the alley and the one-way sign was small, and directly behind a large crosswalk sign, making it very hard to see unless you already knew it was there. I am 18 and have never been pulled over before, much less received a ticket. The fine is $154 and I'm going to get four points on my license and an increase on my insurance. Is it worth trying to fight the ticket?

HighwayMan

Super Secret Senior Member
I dropped a friend off at her car after studying in the library, and proceeded to turn into what I thought was the parking lot right beside the bar she was parked in front of.
I figured that maybe a bar was somehow involved in this.

Is it worth trying to fight the ticket?
How can anyone answer that? It's YOUR time and effort involved. You decide. Assume that the worst case is that you will lose.

Just Blue

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Alabama
I am a college student and received my first ticket last night. I dropped a friend off at her car after studying in the library, and proceeded to turn into what I thought was the parking lot right beside the bar she was parked in front of. There were parking spaces facing the direction in which I was driving, so it was an honest mistake. The "parking lot" turned out to be a one-way alley that ends about a quarter of a mile in the opposite direction from my apartment. I turned in going the correct way, but thinking it was a parking lot, I immediately turned around as soon as I turned on to the road. I merged on the road I had turned off of and noticed a police officer sitting right outside of a turn lane in the middle of the road, waiting to get behind me. I drove half a mile before the officer turned on his lights. When I pulled over, I told him that I thought I had turned into a parking lot and didn't understand what I'd done wrong. I asked him twice and still didn't understand until I asked a friend about the "parking lot" later. I went back to look at the alley and the one-way sign was small, and directly behind a large crosswalk sign, making it very hard to see unless you already knew it was there. I am 18 and have never been pulled over before, much less received a ticket. The fine is $154 and I'm going to get four points on my license and an increase on my insurance. Is it worth trying to fight the ticket?
Be glad you only got the 4 points ...:rolleyes:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">